2a3 or 300b?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre Vermeulen

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please excuse me if this is a stupid question.....can an amp be configured to run either set of these output valves?Can anyone offer opinion on these in terms of favourite?I have thanks to Winders been given the opportunity to build a SET amp and have the transformers(Audionote),the solid copper chassis(also Audionote),thanks Chingy for sorting the chassis for me.I also have both a NOS pair of RCA 2a3's and a pair of Valve Art 300b's.
I have an experienced builder(John of Tannoy fame)to build her for me and he has some 6sj7 pentodes to drive the triodes.I only have a single chassis and can't help wondering if building mono is best even though I think the chassis could take the lot(so dual mono single chassis)
Any opinions or ideas would be great.Cant help but think Western Electric 91a would be the ultimate,simple 2stage as advised by Winders......i have never heard either valve....fire away.