Author Topic: Wandboard with Ubuntu 12.04 and Squeezelite  (Read 11329 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
Re: Wandboard with Ubuntu 12.04 and Squeezelite
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 11:00:45 PM »
I did, quit when it was time to get an LMS build installed :tongue:
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Online scrarfussi

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Quantum In Me Fuit
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 07:07:02 PM »
if only i had known you had one of these when i came over
suum cuique pulchrum est

"I refuse to prove that I exist,'" says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

Offline lanties

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town - Bellville - Protea Valley
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 01:33:24 PM »
Just a quick update.

I have this desire to have a minimalistic Ubuntu distro on Wandboard for pure playback via squeezelite. The current distro's tries and cater to configure the wandboard for everybody's needs. Simply too much unnecessary stuff for my requirements.

I have managed to put together my own Ubuntu distro based on Ubuntu 13.04 Core RFS I have added network and ALSA support, as well as all packages required by squeezelite. The Kernel 3.035 and u-boot was downloaded from the wandboard site (SDK) and x-compiled. I then added squeezelite including autostart on startup with default parameters (o = default:CARD=sgtl5000audio ) for the Wandboard. It instantly detected my HiFiMedia DAC as well. Unfortunately the Vivere is doing the rounds but I know it will also work.

All working perfect, new player instantly registered with my LMS server and all done from original sources without the need for 3rd party patches etc.

Next I will write a little web-based configuration program and add into the distro. Again lightweight an no need for Apache or Tomcat etc.

I will make the image available to forum members once done and 100% sure all is working perfectly.

Everything is currently based on the Wand-Dual. I will look at the Wand-Quad at a much later stage. I have no interest at present to add LMS to my distro. Again I will look at this at a much later stage when I look at the Wand-Quad.

For those patient enough I should be able to release this within the next four weeks.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 02:02:03 PM »
bakgat! :notworthy: :notworthy:
Audiophile: There is almost no other group that prides themselves more on wasting good money on utterly worthless ****, and then trying to furiously blow smoke up their own ass to justify it.

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
Holding thumbs! The CSOS is getting real bloated now and takes forever to boot, Id love a sleek, trimmed down disti
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 09:40:11 PM »
Id love a sleek, trimmed down disti

You are so shallow, does your missus know this?
Whoever originally coined the word 'Lisp' and put an 'S' in it's spelling, is a Douchebag !!

Offline lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 10:34:11 PM »
Holding thumbs! The CSOS is getting real bloated now and takes forever to boot, Id love a sleek, trimmed down disti

Currently still <300mb total disk usage and <30 seconds to boot. Should not be much bigger and slower when done. I have included net-tools and apt-get as well so it is a bit bigger than the 25mb where I started but at least it is also a bit more usable. Should easily fit on a 2 GB sdcard.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 11:35:53 AM »
Please include LMS, samba and NFS if not already included  ;D

Offline lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
Please include LMS, samba and NFS if not already included  ;D

Soon you will need some something like a Intel Core i7-4960X Extreme Edition.

Not much happening as I have been preoccupied for a few weeks. Can you believe it. Two out of three kids with appendix issues in three weeks.  One burst and one almost burst appendix.  It is almost like it is contagious in our house. I have kept the 3rd child locked in the garage for the last week feeding him through a small trap door. He knows it is because we love him and want to protect him.

Then there is always some work that needs to be  done just to make sure the cash flow stays positive.

Anyway things are coming on slowly but surely. My web front-end is starting to take shape. Things that can be done from the front-end.

1. Select squeezelite device from dropdown list. (Easy to read stuff)
2. Change squeezelite player name
3. Select LMS server or leave blank for auto-detect
4. Change hostname,
5. Change IP address
6. Change Gateway
7. Select between wired and wireless interfaces. Although working the wireless interface is still very unstable. This must be something to do with my kernel compile or the firmware I am using. Still working on this.
8. Select WiFI access point from drop down. (This is still only working on channels 1-10. I think I have a fix for 11-13 but not 100% on this yet.
9. Enter SSID.
10. Auto configure amixer for max volume.
11. Whole bunch of other background stuff to make it easy to work
12. Most graphics - Still playing around with colours.

The above is working well besides issues listed. Next up

a) Full control of player - Yes I know this can be done from a remote but I want to do it to.
b) Some system info presented so that MS-minded people can also understand.
c) LMS server
d) NFS-client
e) CIFS-client

Not sure if we need NSF and SAMBA server side stuff

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »
Your missus is too kind to say it so let me: stop cooking for the kids, you're going to kill them.

NFS and SAMBA will be necessary if using Wandboard as a standalone with HDD attached (guess you could always unplug the drive and plug it in elsewhere to add tracks (but in a networked home why would you). I presume SSH is already part of the build :winkwink:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 04:50:09 PM by audiomuze »

Offline lanties

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »
Your missus is to kind to say it so let me: stop cooking for the kids, you're going to kill them.

NFS and SAMBA will be necessary if using Wandboard as a standalone with HDD attached (guess you could always unplug the drive and plug it in elsewhere to add tracks (but in a networked home why would you). I presume SSH is already part of the build :winkwink:

You can not believe it but " what the hell are we feeding our kids ? "  have gone through my mind a few times. The only positive answer I have found so far " At least we are feeding our kids" 

SSH is in. NFS and SAMBA will be in. I will also provide a web upload (drag and drop of files)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 04:33:28 AM »
:whistler:

Offline lanties

• AVForums Veteran
Re: Re: Wandboard with Ubuntu 12.04 and Squeezelite
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2013, 06:15:20 AM »
:whistler:
It is taking a bit longer because I sometimes sleep and it is hard to find inspiration to do all the little nice things without a DAC:'(

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »
It is taking a bit longer because I sometimes sleep and it is hard to find inspiration to do all the little nice things without a DAC :'(
Touché.  If it makes you feel any better neither Gert, Costa or I have a finished product.  Nou nie meer lank nie. :thumbs:

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »
 :coffee: