Author Topic: Anyone used Ampliflac - an App for iPad?  (Read 4457 times)

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
Anyone used Ampliflac - an App for iPad?
« on: November 15, 2013, 02:43:49 PM »
The description sounds great - decode and play FLAC files up to 384KHz/24 bit.  The program comes in 2 flavours, free (which will only play 120 seconds of each track) and a $9.99 version

So opted for the paid version which downloaded in a few mins

There seems to be no option to transfer FLAC files via iTunes to the _Inbox folder that Ampliflac wants
You can access your Google drive, but with our amazing SA ADSL speeds, adding several large files is troublesome and 8 out of 10 attempts have aborted
There is no help file
The author's web page is on Facebook and littered with people saying how good it is, and there are some questions about how to use it, but no replies
So have this seemingly wonderful music player with nothing to play on it.
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Rotten Johnny

Re: Anyone used Ampliflac - an App for iPad?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 03:57:38 PM »
Amazing Apple - find a way to make you pay to play music encoded in a perfectly good open source format.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Skylark

Anyone used Ampliflac - an App for iPad?
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:11:27 PM »
Go into iTunes when the device is plugged in , click on the apps section in the devices settings window and right at the bottom there will be a section for the apps that can transfer media over to themselves and as you click on a app in that section it will show a window for dragging files over or browsing to add/select files. That's where you can add stuff to apps that support it which this app would no doubt be able to do.
Music is in the Mind

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 10:49:39 AM »
Thanks Skylark.  Under Apps in iTunes for the iPad itself, if you click on Ampliflac you can see the folder _InBox which is in the Ampliflac folder on the iPad.  However, if you copy FLAC files from a PC, they do not go into the _InBox folder but sit outside.  Consequently Ampliflac does not see them.  I could not figure out, using iTunes, how to move or copy the FLAC files into the _InBox folder

I attached a Musiland DAC to a powered hub and attached this to the Camera Adaptor unit and the FLAC file played well, as good as Foobar on a PC

Offline Skylark

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 12:09:40 PM »
On the app itself when you go to inbox or where ever the file manager is on the app there should be a import or similarly named button - that will then show you all the files you moved over when in itunes and you can move those into the app, normally you'd make a folder where you'd like the files to go and then press the import button.
Music is in the Mind

Offline chrisc

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:35:56 AM »
There is no file manager.  There are tabs for Album, Song and Google.  So instead I used iFunbox which is a utility that lets you copy to and from the iPad without using iTunes.  With this, you can select the actual folder where you want to copy the files.

I think this program is fairly new as revisions have been coming out every 3 or 4 days, so it needs polishing.

There is an alternative app called Audiophile iPad which plays Apple Lossles music files which I presume are the same as FLAC, but only in analogue form from the speaker in the iPad.  This is far easier to use and set up than Ampliflac.

The whole exercise is really an experiment since I have a perfectly good laptop to connect to this DAC.  I also use a Noontec media player to play FLAC files but don't know how this device is converting the files as the specs are somewhat deficient.  I suspect that it is only 16 bit 44.1KHz since some music does not sound as crisp and detailed as you hear from the DAC

Offline ingenieus

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »
Amazing Apple - find a way to make you pay to play music encoded in a perfectly good open source format.

You don't get to be one of the richest private enterprises on the planet by playing nice.  :cr@p: