Trip to JHB

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alphabet

R.I.P.
Reaction score
I had the dubious priviledge to drive to JHB during the past two weeks and felt I had to provide some feedback(even if it was to annoy some members ;D)

Going up we decided to take the route over Kimberley, which we did regret once we got stuck between Kimberley and Warrenton due to roadworks with the 70Km stretch taking us two hours.

Once we got to Bloemhof, we could see the JHB polution coming closer and closer and the stench became almost overpowering, sort of a "vrot" yeast smell that sticks to you!

Eventually we arrived at Potchefstroom and that was a huge disappointment compared to what I remember from 20 years ago. The town is downright dirty! I cannot understand why anybody in their right mind would want to live there.

Klerksdorp followed and again the same pattern repeated itself, filth, bad roads, pollution. What bothered me most is that the majority of people I saw, seemed to have been stuck in a period 30 years ago concerning their sense fo fashion.

A few hours later we arrived in the city of gold. Damn, they should rename it to the "City of Stench" It was difficult to breath and the smell!

Most of our time was spent in JHB, but there was a trip to Rustenburg shoe-horned in and even the change in scenery did not change my opinion of the Gauteng region. And to think that I actually stayed there for 8 years, I must have been crazy!

Something I dreaded beforehand, was the notorious JHB drivers, but the only difference I found was that in CT we have to watch out for Taxis only whereas in JHB almost everyone drives like the Taxis, no indicators, no idea of what the fast lane is intended for, no idea what the purpose of trafficlights are.

I suppose I had to take the trip, as it only strengthened the fact that we stay in probably the most beautiful part of the country(okay I do have a soft spot for KZN as well) and those visitors who complain about the wind, dont worry to much about it, if it keeps you away from CT, no problem ;D