Author Topic: Good pressing thread  (Read 10064 times)

Offline Phase

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Good pressing thread
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 04:49:28 AM »
My best sounding pressing,

Eric Clapton unplugged

THE NUMBER ONE 1992 ALBUM WHICH GARNERED SIX GRAMMY AWARDS
including Album of the year, record of the year...

What a brilliant recording, sounds absolutely superb!

Offline valvesound

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Audio designs creating exceptional character
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2015, 08:41:11 AM »
My wife bought me this album yesterday from Musica. Of almost all the new pressings I have bought from Musica of late this 40th aniversary re-release  is one of the best sounding. I must say I have bought some horrible new pressings but this one is great!
One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds - Frank Zappa

Offline JohnnyIC

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 04:52:28 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of Led Zeppelin - Remasters? The 1990 one. How does it sound?

Offline stereotype

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 12:07:38 PM »
One of my best sounding records:

Greatest Hits of America
180g remastered vinyl by Friday Music

Stereo 1: Opera Cyber-222,PS Audio Trio C100, Opera CD120L, Rotel RCD-965BX, Magneplanar 1.5 QR, KEF LS-50, NAD PP2, Technics SL23, Rotel RT-940AX, TubeMagic D1+
Stereo 2: Technics SU610, SHGE70, STK55, Polk Monitor 40, Denon DCM-280
HT: Onkyo 603/Polk

Offline JonnyP

• Gear Slut≤
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2015, 09:14:14 PM »
Not sure if this should be a good pressing or heads up but Musica have Miles Davis albums on Colombia legacy pressings for R200 they are very good (the ones I bought anyway)
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2015, 12:08:17 PM »
^ Poor (faded) cover print didn't look promising, but I can confirm that "Legacy Vinyl" 180g Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" vinyl pressing is top notch. EXCELLENT, one of the best I have.
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when youíve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline TriodeFan

• AVForums Member
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2016, 10:01:12 AM »
I've had good luck with Rudi van Gelder jazz recording, re-released on 'Prestige' ... really excellent some of the finest I have ... they are mostly mono, btw, although as much is often not stated on the sleeve ... I have original 'London Jazz' pressings (i.e. Decca's early jazz label), and I honestly think the new Prestige pressing compare favorably! 

if its 1950 to late 1960's with Rudi van Gelder on the dial, then its 'supposed' to be mono ... hehe

Offline colonel66

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2016, 06:18:17 AM »
if its 1950 to late 1960's with Rudi van Gelder on the dial, then its 'supposed' to be mono ... hehe

The RvG mono myth!  :sd:

Between March 1957 and 30 October 1958, RvG recorded sessions with dual masters - i.e. One mono and one stereo. Anything RvG recorded from 1 November 1958 was recorded in stereo only. There was no mono master. Mono releases from 1 November 1958 were "mixed down" from the stereo master  :whip:

The myth that the monos were better depends on the recording date

I love the RvG sound  :groovy:- especially the way he captures brass instruments - recording  piano was not exactly his strong suit IMO. But I reckon modern engineers need to revisit these records to hear what was being achieved back then. Far more natural sound than many a modern recording.

The Analog Productions re-releases are awesome

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Member
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2017, 08:28:55 PM »
Perla - 'Confidencias' -RCA Victor 1982 pressing. Amazing vocalist and is up there with Sade  Diamond Life - Epic pressing 1984. Also..Carmina Burana...Telarc pressing is brilliant and is far better than the German Tulip pressing. Also really impressive and seemingly well mastered is Earth Wind & Fire  "Gratitude" -live double album best recordings from their 2-year tour of the West & East Coast of USA 1974-1976. Phase 4 Decca recordings are also impressive. Spin these on a well tweaked idler drive and an amazing journey awaits.  :)

Offline marantz123

• AVForums Member
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2017, 08:42:27 PM »
Sorry..forgot details on Earth Wind Fire...its  CBS pressing...all tracks are brilliant..but "New World Symphony" on the second disc is mind blowingly awesome!

Offline Jazzy

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • S.E.T. for life!
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 03:51:32 AM »
Thanks for the info and feedback on the Gratitude album! Have wondered for years if this is a good buy.
The Vinyl Frontier!