Author Topic: Heaphones + Amp belw me away!!!!!!  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Hennie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Heaphones + Amp belw me away!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009, 04:40:45 PM »
I use Dolby Headphone with FB2K without the crossfeed. It gets the sound out of my head and adds a bit of acoustics. Alternatively I sometimes use crossfeed with the FB2K convolver and an acoustics impulse response (only slight amount added).

Offline The Godfather

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009, 08:52:43 PM »
Ahh, that makes sense, I've just learned something  ;D

Just a question, my experiance with headphones is an "In your head" sound. Does better headpone's/headamps or perhaps the crossfeed overcome this?

The downside is that headphones are never going to sound like speakers. There will always be that element of in head sound.
The downside is that headphones are never going to sound like speakers ;)

In all honesty I have to say I am pretty happy with the sound i get from both of mine. They are quite comparable in terms of tonality.

Offline Hennie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009, 09:46:22 PM »
The downside is that headphones are never going to sound like speakers. There will always be that element of in head sound. The downside is that headphones are never going to sound like speakers ;)

The downside is that headphones are never going to sound like speakers and the upside is that headphones are never going to sound like speakers? :) :) :) :)

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 03:09:14 AM »

.... your left ear doen't only get info from the left speaker, it does get info from the right speaker ....

But that is exactly what is NOT supposed to happed! That is why one easily get a more 'in 'situ' (ambience, whatever) awareness with headphones.

This bothered me from the first time that Harold Leak visited SA in the 50s to demonstrate stereo. In stereo photography you only get the real thing if the left image is viewed by the left eye ONLY, and vice cersa, since the camera lenses are situated where your eyes should have been - each lens represents an eye, and one only ...

Now we record sound with cartefully placed microphones where the ears should be ... and then we re-mix the lot by making both ears having to sort out left and right a second time. Thus it becomes mainly a phase thing instead of also being a loudness thing. As said before, using a table stereo loudspeaker setup, and then placing them so that one can go closer ending up with the head between the loudspeakers, the 'ambience sense' will suddenly open up as one's head moves toward a position where each ear mainly hears only the channel it is supposed to hear. (All this, provided the blinking recording is done right.)
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline The Godfather

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009, 09:01:35 AM »
Now we record sound with cartefully placed microphones where the ears should be ... and then we re-mix the lot by making both ears having to sort out left and right a second time. Thus it becomes mainly a phase thing instead of also being a loudness thing. As said before, using a table stereo loudspeaker setup, and then placing them so that one can go closer ending up with the head between the loudspeakers, the 'ambience sense' will suddenly open up as one's head moves toward a position where each ear mainly hears only the channel it is supposed to hear. (All this, provided the blinking recording is done right.)
I think that this is exactly the point

a crossfeed filter for non-acoustically recorded music helps a lot.

Most studio recordings that are mixed will sound very one dimensional. Ambiance is created, largely, by one ear hearing sounds meant for the other ear - reflections. I have never found a pair of headphones with a soundstage that is anywhere near as large as a set of speakers.

In your example the closer you get to the speakers, the more defined and clear the stereo image becomes, however the image size also shrinks the closer you get to the speakers.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 09:04:54 AM by Byrd »

Offline chipwelder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009, 10:39:07 AM »
The crux of the matter... If the blinking recording is done right...
I think the only way we get really "accurate" (for want of a better word) stereo is with Binaural recordings and headphones, and maybe close-up monitors... The rest... we have a couple of pointbased receivers roughly halfway in physical distance between us and the live set, which is where we get a source from, it's amazing that it is actually able to fool us some of the time...
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...