Author Topic: Headphones recommendation  (Read 2447 times)

Offline iondb

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
Headphones recommendation
« on: March 12, 2009, 10:18:24 AM »
I am looking to buy a set of cans with noise cancellation or that 'seals/blocks' surrounding noise in the very tight budget section?

Low Z, not any preference to in-ear/on-ear as I don't have much experience with them, besides my PsP in-ear cans.

Thanks

Offline ludo

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Headphones recommendation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 11:29:39 AM »
Just how tight is that budget? About a year ago I got a whole bag of in-ear-like cans from Nu-World in Menlyn to use as replacement microphones in comms headsets. R5.99 each or something like that. They sound like ... phooeee! :-\ >:( OK for comms mics though. Hopefully the budget extends further?

Mr Linkwitz likes Shure E2 see: http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm He also says they're obsolete since Nov08. There might still be some around in a store somewhere but it looks like the cost over R1k. Kind of heavy?

Whereabouts are you? There were shelves full at Menlyn. All sorts and Sennheisers too. Dunno if people like to let one test in-ear sets though. If you've ever had an ear infection you'd understand.

If it 's going vrot, put it on the buffet ! - Fats

Offline Timber_MG

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 11:40:33 AM »
I believe Sony had some in-ears as well, but perhaps www.head-fi.org could provide you with more answers?

If you are happy with canalphones(not ear-buds) , they provide the best isolation (like an ear-plug really)

Offline iondb

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »
Just how tight is that budget?
  Tight  Lets go for R500 max and see what suggestions fall out the tree?

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 04:33:01 PM »
Think there may be a sennie canal phone in yopur budget... I have tried some affordable JVC jobs at R250 or so but they are total crap.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline iondb

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2009, 08:39:12 AM »
Thanks.  I am in Pta, so I can make a turn at Menlyn.  Stopped at Look&Listen once,  saw a set of Sennheiser H201s.  Seems to be entry level,  but don't think they will block out too much.

Offline kay

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Computer geek
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2009, 12:51:47 PM »
At this price - Sennheiser CX-300 in-ear phones. I have a set for my iPod, they aren't the most comfortable but great for keeping out the noise. At the same time they're not too isolated as to be a danger if you're commuting on foot (not that anyone who buys them does this in SA).