Squeezebox - where to now?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

u235

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've had my squeezebox for a while now. Originally set up by audiomuze on Ubuntu, beyond the call of duty, and then put onto a Windows laptop it has generally given good service. Some things about it are now driving me crazy.

1) It can't obtain an IP address unless it is started after the laptop running SB server is started. So if there is a long power outage and the laptop shuts down, I have to a) switch everything on (amp, SB, pc and all are plugged into the one available plug) b) wait for the laptop battery to charge a bit c) switch everything off (leaving the laptop running on its battery) d) switch everything on. Then it usually gets its Ip address etc.
2) It has a tiny display. I want to have a nice big display that doesn't force my ancient eyes out on stalks like Sebastian the Crab
3) The remote is cr@p - often it's laggy, or it misses out a keypress, so if you are in search mode and impatient  (as I am) you flounder around backspacing, re-keying and swearing. So to find stuff is a monumental pain in the butt.
4) It has to have a computer with it. Working in IT since god was a kid, I hate computers. I hate having to get the laptop out of the cabinet. I hate having to check if SB server is running. I hate diagnostics, IP addresses, and anything else in the depressing stew of complexity that idiot hardware and software architects have served into our laps.
5) Its playlists, categorization and track selection are garbage. I want to be able to play tracks at random or off albums I haven't heard before, decide I like one, and toss it into a box marked "good rock" or "lekker depressing" or "long distance driving list 3" within two clicks. Instead I have to get out the effing laptop..........more software.........more useless ergonomics............more learning curves.................
6) Lastly, I want something that doesn't say "Squeezebox Server must be running for information to display" when Squeezebox server IS running. Right now the SB control panel can't access it on Port 9000. The SB itself hangs and can't get an IP address. Restarting SB server doesn't help. Restarting SB doesn't help. Rebooting the laptop doesn't help. It worked on the last track, 30 seconds before. Now it doesn't.

All I want to do is play "Freedom" and "Too Old to Die Young" from Django Unchained. I'm dying to play them. I heard them in my kid's car and I'm sure through the Tannoys they will sound awesome! I wish I had something that would be my friend instead of an uneasy, marginally psychotic flatmate.

Any suggestions, bearing in mind the above needs? And I'd like to keep the SB's good point, which is a sh1t-hot DAC and the ability to play FLACs as well as the rest.

And no, I don't want to fix it unless there is absolutely no alternative.

Latest posts