Author Topic: Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250ohm  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Rudi50

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250ohm
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:52:25 PM »
Hello to all the members of AVForums.

I have browsed this forums many times before but only just registered as I have a little problem with my DT880's.

A short piece of the cable, as it exits the left ear cup, has become very hard for some unknown reason(maybe oil somehow?) and I can start to hear it causing problems with the sound. I'm guessing the wire is breaking on the inside. If I wiggle it at certain angles the sound will go off in one of the drivers.

Is there anybody on the forum known for re-cabling headphones? I actually bought some decent cables long ago as I was going to do it myself but I decided to rather pay someone who has more experience to do it for me.
I am in the Johannesburg, Auckland Park area. I would be able to drop it off and collect.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Rudi

Offline chipwelder

Re: Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250ohm
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:47:45 PM »
Maybe contact the agents, they, by reputation seem to stand by their brand...
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • The wife is always right!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 07:26:38 PM »
Hi Rudi and welcome to the forum - hopefully your 'lurker' status will soon be something of the past.

As a matter of interest, how old are your DT880 headphones? What I'm trying to establish is if it is old age that caused such a problem, or bad material selection.
St Helena Bay
<<< KIT >>>
DIY OB Boombox (TPA3116D2 amps)
PC: Zotac ZBox Nano > HRT Music Streamer HD > HK GLA55
HP: iPad Pro > Audeze iSine 10, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, Music pillow, Denon Heos 7

Offline Rudi50

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »
I bought them in 2011. I don't know when they were manufactured. I'll try and check the box tonight. I'm thinking it is a combination of age and that it at some time got into contact with something oily. I know oil makes plastic go all hard and brittle. It is only about 8cm of the cable that has gone harder than the rest.

I have decided to start looking for a place where I can buy some nice quality 3.5mm male to male jacks of about 1.2m - 1.5m and do a detachable cable mod. I was just wondering who on here is known for doing a good job and could have assisted me. I don't mind doing it myself though.

Offline chipwelder

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 07:36:35 PM »
Ludo is known to fool around with headphones around here... maybe ping him for advice, just shorten the cable? headphone cables are a PAIN to solder... Maybe try to get the SHure relacement cable for SRH 840, already plugged etc, just need to mod the phones side, coily or straight version available... Warning has a 2.5mm locking type plug on the phones side...
OK! I've had it! I don't give anymore Kharma. Kharma should work in mysterious ways...

Offline Rudi50

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 10:28:52 AM »
Thanks chipwelder. I'll look into that.

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
I solder Cardas Litz wires all the time. If there is a way to see how to open these babies somewhere it can be done. Just always worried about hidden hooks and clips. The soldering using the right methods should not be a problem.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:34:41 AM »
Have done a few can upgrades including adding mic remote cables to various buds and IEMS.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member

Offline Rudi50

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
Yip, opening them is quite easy. Could you guys perhaps suggest where I can get nice high quality components. Will need the cable such as the one chipwelder suggested and the female jack connector.

Offline Wolla

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • The wife is always right!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 09:14:01 PM »
Maybe a silly question, but would this kind of wire work for re-wiring a set of cans?

http://www.gumtree.co.za/cp-audio-music-equipment-in-gardens-oranjezicht/audio-cable-for-sale-499471965
St Helena Bay
<<< KIT >>>
DIY OB Boombox (TPA3116D2 amps)
PC: Zotac ZBox Nano > HRT Music Streamer HD > HK GLA55
HP: iPad Pro > Audeze iSine 10, Philips SHP-895
Casual: Apple HiFi, Music pillow, Denon Heos 7

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 11:38:38 PM »
It probably would but chances are it is no better than the stock cable.