Author Topic: SPL meter  (Read 9889 times)

Offline reactor_sa

Re: SPL meter
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 11:04:49 AM »
Well I tried my S4 the other day and it doesn't pickup anything under the 80hz crossover.

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 11:24:35 AM »
I use SPL mobile on a iPad and it works well.  Free asfaik
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline HomeBoy

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 09:51:31 AM »
I use SPL mobile on a iPad and it works well.  Free asfaik
+1

Offline psychz

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
There is no way they will be accurate though... Those apps haven't been calibrated :/

Offline reactor_sa

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2013, 10:38:04 AM »
Mobile device mics don't register very low frequency so I found them pointless for leveling subs

Offline Danny Boy

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 10:31:29 AM »
Calibration will unfortunately always be an issue  :vsad:

Have you tried REW on a pc? http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

I've only installed it on my HTPC, connected the Audyssey mic to my Xonar U3, and set the mic's level that it reads a 75db in REW. That's where I got.

I don't know if I'm on the right track with REW, basically trail-and-error
HT: Onkyo TX-NR828 | Wharfedale Obsidian 600 | Polk PSW350 | HiSense 60K390 | Zalman HD503 HTPC & Kodi 17.3
Stereo: NAD 3020i | NAD 522 | NAD T515 | Pioneer PL-512 | Technics SB-2170 | RPi 3, PiFi v2 & Moode Audio

Offline reactor_sa

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
I guess I could try that with  a notebook pc, but ultimately a proper spl meter would be most convenient

Offline Sten

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 07:46:25 AM »
Major Tech has one, model MT976. Google their local site. A bit pricey but it looks rather nice. I have an earlier MT model which compares well with my Castle GA112, which is a professional meter. If you hang on for a day or two I'll do a bit of digging in my Alladin's garage where I have another Castle unit, albeit a different model. It may be something you could use.
"In music the passions enjoy themselves"  Nietzsche.

Offline reactor_sa

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2013, 08:13:07 AM »
Thanks Stan, I've poked around the web and the best bet seems to be amazon.co.uk for anything under a grand. Crazy, just to setup the sub and speaker levels....

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+119)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - get better sound
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »
Park your cat in the listening position.  When his/her ears go back, then the level is too high
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline reactor_sa

Re: Re: SPL meter
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 08:57:58 AM »
Park your cat in the listening position.  When his/her ears go back, then the level is too high
Lol

Offline WD

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »
Major Tech has one, model MT976. Google their local site. A bit pricey but it looks rather nice. I have an earlier MT model which compares well with my Castle GA112, which is a professional meter. If you hang on for a day or two I'll do a bit of digging in my Alladin's garage where I have another Castle unit, albeit a different model. It may be something you could use.

That model is their "economy model" at R1755 which is a very good price for a precision instrument.

http://www.major-tech.com/Website/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1196

Their "pro" model is actually on special at the moment for R2848 (normally R3756).

http://www.major-tech.com/Website/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1195

« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:38:06 PM by WaterHond »

Offline Rotten Johnny

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
I've got a RadioShack SPL I'll let go.
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Sten

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »
I happened across a MT975 (the pro model in the pics) this morning in a second-hand shop. Neat condition, still has the protective film over the readout. This is in Blackheath, Johannesburg. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention price here, so I won't. Send me a PM and I'll pass on the details.
"In music the passions enjoy themselves"  Nietzsche.

Offline Fcleph

« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:58 AM »
This topic is quite interesting to me, since I have also done some experiments with dB Pro on iPad and wanted to know to what degree it was accurate. What I did read at one point was that the mic on the iPad was frequency restricted up until a certain OS software update (I'm not sure which version anymore though - but if your OS is up to date I think the mic is less restricted). What I do want to ask here is if anybody has experience with the mic and USB soundcard that comes with the B&W DB-1 sub. It looks like a fancy bit of kit that could probably be used for more than just calibrating the sub. I was wondering if anybody has experimented or found something online perhaps? Don't know if the mic is tuned to low frequencies only?