Author Topic: A life beyond audio...."The Cape Flats Billy Joel and Christie Brinkley Story"  (Read 9122 times)

Offline Kent Kassler

The turning pages of time reveal themselves to us in many different guises....some change direction,others find new passions or re-ignite forgotten ones.....and some of us will poop and urinate on our sheets without our knowledge.
I was keen to understand exactly what someone freed from the shackles of this Gomorrah would now be doing after a long time in exile and a perfect candidate for just such an interview arrived quite by surprise this weekend....my interview with this audio legend and his adorable family will follow....
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

It came to my attention that a certain Marantz 1050 in perfect silver dress was available for purchase in the deep north....where afrikaans is still spoken,where base is the only face,where Stodels on a Sunday is a pensioners pick up joint in the "Delicious Monster" section....we left in Deans Opel Corsa 1400 bakkie with Starsound amp,mids and tweets,JVC backlit 50x4 loader with sensurround and Subwoofer duties were by a flatpack under my seat that created a numbness that i last felt during a 4day stint in the Wynberg cells a few years back......Hein's E-piphany was our destination....
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

....Dean and i discussed our fully qualified Monk statuses having been with the same woman for the longest time....we reminisced about youthful abandon and the glory days when woman were more open and less offended by the odd bumslap and sexy whistle....we wondered what Hein would be like and took bets on whether he would be "wig or wigless"....
the journey flew by and before we knew it we were parked outside his door....Dean leaned over and i had "A-paffonme"....

Offline Kent Kassler

....a tall gentleman was unlocking as we arrived and Dean and i approached to within metres when a deathly scream (similar to one i recall making numerous times during the previously mentioned 4day stint)...."Take what you want!!" he yelled like Mimi flipping Coertze.....okes are donners tense here in Tijgervallei people,i mean this oke was leaking all over the place while Dean and i danced like Michael Flatley to avoid the stream of nervousness...Dean tried soothing him and he suckled on a well placed thumb kindly provided to him in the nick of time....

Offline Kent Kassler

....calmness slowly came,Dean didn't yet and we entered this pristine establishment.Open plan heaven this was for Dean....hundreds of open ported Yoko Ono's in kevlar dress surrounded him and the high was overwhelming as he stampeded over Hein,his thumb still dripping with saliva as his eye caught the 805's....he was sweating as the stroking began on the outline of the curve,the wood glistening from the constant polishing.......and he hadn't even reached the speaker yet......

Offline Kent Kassler

Hein had regained consciousness at this point and stumbled to his feet by leaning on the table housing the Italian Coffee machine.."Yes please 2 sugars" Dean yelled....in between licking the shaft of the Nautilus while gently rubbing the port opening with his right hand.I spotted the Marantz,quietly hidden amongst other unwanteds and calmly sauntered in that direction....a dark room off to the side holding all the better sounding old stuff that people had downgraded from....a Rega cd player,Nad 3220pe integrated,a mint pair of pregnant penguins....my heart was warm and the 805's port was warmer after  Dean had run her in.....time for some listening....

Offline ballistic

"Yes please 2 sugars" Dean yelled....in between licking the shaft of the Nautilus while gently rubbing the port opening with his right hand.

my heart was warm and the 805's port was warmer after  Dean had run her in.....time for some listening....

:BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: I just had an Epiphany!

Offline Kent Kassler

...my eyes caught a lovely pic of Hein and Mr Ken Ishiwatta on his office window taken when he received an award for the loveliest Marantz outlet in Africa,Hein told us about the response to a question put to the tiny Asian oompah loompah..."What's your take on home theatre Ken?" Hein asked...."We weren't born with 5 ears were we?"...was the little stars response.Dean started puking with laughter,bits of liver and little drops of the now served coffee dripping from his nostrils as Hein ran for a cloth to save his Couch....we walked around from system to system having a listen......here are some of my thoughts....

Offline Kent Kassler

....the cutest little B&W pm1 speakers sat perched with a cardboard boomerang Project turntable as Source and I honestly don't remember the amp but when Graceland was placed on the platter and the om5 dropped.....it sounded like Marikana,chanting miners with Ortofon drills in hand stomping around and making a bladdy racket,the sounds appearing to come out of a mining shaft, so hollow and brittle it was....was this a surround speaker system using only the rears I asked myself?R26k for a speaker the size of a moerkoffee kan....what would Ken say?..."Why were we born with any ears?" perhaps?...

Offline Kent Kassler

Next to these little premature squeeling babies were the parents,a monstrous pair of speakers,tall in stature with multiple drivers lined up like a well dressed couple about to celebrate the local "Phase Distortion Festival" that's in town....Rotel monster power upfront meant I knew what was coming and so placed myself off axis at a distance.....let me just say this....If I was still active in crime I would have returned Sunday evening late and simply touched on the glass windows and watched them shatter as I ran for the 1050 and the Ken Ishiwatta pic.Those tweeters had the precision of Dr Chris on that fateful day,enthusiasm aplenty but a dire outcome despite best intentions......the Durbanville farmers association are buying these by the truckload....works better than a pesticide i believe.....yes i do believe.

Offline Kent Kassler

...i have pics to send JQ of some of the days events....here they come bud.

Offline alternativeroute

Eish. on my phone today so cannot flickr them... What was Dean doing to that naughty-less speaker. not sure that pic is good for forum consumption...

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline WD

...i have pics to send JQ of some of the days events....here they come bud.

Send pics to me so we can see Dean in action... sending PM with email details.

Offline alternativeroute

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Kent Kassler

JQ my friend that Allnic is a standalone phonostage my friend......and only half of it!!!