Audio and Video Talk > Valves / Vacuum Tubes

Tube tester

<< < (2/2)

Family_Dog:
I have an AVO Mk 4, but probably a bit far from you. Beautiful instrument, unfortunately not for sale.

-F_D

xenithon:
That looks like a beauty!

Do you think it would be possible if, when I purchase some NOS tubes, you'd be able to test them for me? Getting a tube tester myself is likely overkill,

Family_Dog:

--- Quote from: xenithon on January 24, 2009, 02:14:18 PM ---That looks like a beauty!

Do you think it would be possible if, when I purchase some NOS tubes, you'd be able to test them for me? Getting a tube tester myself is likely overkill,

--- End quote ---

X, no problem at all.... except I am in Klerksdorp.

-F_D

Ampdog:

--- Quote from: ghostinthemachine on January 24, 2009, 10:49:48 AM ---Why not build a tester of your own?

--- End quote ---

Just found this again. Yes, one can build one's own for far less than the commercial tube tester. If one is an audio fan, chances are you will only be interested in a few tubes - no need for the exquisite switching gear etc. of the general tester. I have done that: Sockets, one for ECCxx types, then ECF80 types, EF86, 6AU6 and power tubes almost exclusively just one socket (no switching). And an E182CC socket for myself. Large face meter, two power supply voltages (330/450V) and low current G2 voltage  (100/250V), adjustable  bias. If desired a meter back-off and push-switch for gm can be included - I did not do that.

Infrequently a commercial type was on the market for around R450, but scarce. In my case I had most of the parts lying around.

Apocalypse Boy:
I would be most interested in the design of it , I have a old PHILIPS tube stereo that needs some love , the tranny spat out it's wax so I recon it's stuffed , would love to test the glass ( Plus It sounds like a fun project, NOT that I need more 1/2 Built stuff....Allmost as bad as Gert )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version