Styrofoam Diffusors

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

windshear

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
I have seen quite a few companies selling these online. I have my reservations of them , but in ignorance. Has anybody had any experience  trying something like this. My reason for asking is I finally received my UMM-6 Usb mic and I ran REW on my room. I have now been able to visualise and quantify what I have always suspected.

Firstly my room was designed for home theatre so it is very heavily treated, possibly a bit too much. I have bass traps in all 4 corners and all the walls have treatment and panelling on the sides. I have no treatment on the ceiling for first reflections. With REW I confirmed that this is a problem regarding the ceiling using the ETC plot. Surprisingly enough I also had a reflection off my carpeted floor. I do not want to put any more absorption in the room due to very quick decay rate, hence looking at a simple diffusor for the ceiling. I would like to add a bit more liveliness to the room for stereo and am considering diffusion for the some spots on the room sides. I know this goes against conventional thinking since the listening distance is too close to the diffusor. Without commiting to something drastic and expensive are there any suggestions I can try, so I can quantify it with a measurement and my ears before deciding on whats best? I know im trying to achieve something that's not ideal by having a dedicated stereo and HT in the same room, due to the inherent differences required to optimise both. I suspect I will have to sacrifice the HT side of things(which I find perfect) to improve the lacking stereo side.

Can Styrofoam work for diffusion? If so is there a recommended density to try?