1st attempt at DIY bass traps and sound treatment

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormbringer101

AVForums Member
Reaction score
So I decided to  try my hand at some DIY bass traps and reflectors  as I had a real issue with one tone bass and high frequencies bouncing around the room .
In terms of some of the DIY builds I've seen on here I wouldn't even compare my attempt in terms of skill ,build quality  and appearance but man what a difference it's like my b&w s and  integra were swoped for a new better system ,bass notes are crisp and totally distinguishable , I can even here the difference between cellos ,violin , bass  clearly .the imaging is smooth from left to center to right and sounds immense but does not overflow over or behind me anymore . Electric guitars are clear and not as harsh . 

I bought :  2 bags of think pink rolls
2 bags of the green aero lite  rolls
A pack of of 40x40x300cm wood
6x3m of car shade netting
Used old  Thai silk duvets to cover.
2 fake  carpets for under the speakers
A old wooden blind with a layer of think pink underneath for first reflection point.
Thai silk draped over the TV cabinet
Removed the table. In  front of the  speaker s & TV

The corner trap for the left hand side , measures 225 cm high with 70cm sides and 90cm front .
I compressed the think pink by folding and rolling it into a tube and then surrounded it with the aerolite into 2 separate sections top and bottom separated by a sheet of Masonite in the middle and top and bottom .wrapped the car shade around stapled it up tight  then covered with a huge sheet and again with the old Thai silk sheet . I'm quite sure  none of the think pink fibre will sneak its way out .

The second bass trap box .sits under my Av shelf on the right hand side and measures  125 x 70 high    x 50  deep . I was getting the most reflection and bass problems from that area . had some excess left from the corner trap  and went for a box  .Same as before packed the think pink up tight ,wrapped it up ,covered the box with car shade  and then covered again with 2 Thai silk curtains (as yet not wife approved ) but what is done is done as they say. 

All in all I spent less than 2k  and the results are amazing . As an idea my dac is  at the bosses place to tempt him into quality as apposed  to boom boom sound . And I might be imagining it but with the traps in and no dac it sounds better than dac on and no treatment ...  I can only imagine how good proper treatments and traps will be .

uty2yjeh.jpg

y9yquge3.jpg

juqugy4u.jpg

pegeguqy.jpg

zudava6y.jpg

7u5yvume.jpg

esuhe6y5.jpg

5yrybage.jpg