Aerolite or Isotherm?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiven

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm moving into a new place next month, and the first priority for me is to insulate the roof. The Googleiser returns more information on installers, and marketing than practical applications or comparisons of the two (aside from thermal transmittance values), hence this post. I've read the threads here with interest as well, but am uncertain, as there are people using both.

Now, I do realise the main difference being the materials: Aerolite is glass fibre, whereas IsoTherm is PET. From what I've seen, Aerolite has higher R values than Isotherm for the same thickness. My concern though is the sound transmittance...and there seems to be little info on that. I've read that the glass fiber stuff is effective for sound insulation applications, whereas the plastic stuff is useless. Is this correct?

I'm not worried about the Aerolite being itchier (once installed, I have no intention going back into the roof), and I'm not concerned about about price - I just want the best product for two primary benefits: Thermal and Sound insulation. I prefer that Aerolite is non-combustible, whereas the Isotherm has a high rating, but can still burn, even though it won't in itself sustain a fire. Only considering this after the news of the shack fire in Germiston today....and I expect these to sadly be on the increase as we head into winter.

So, in a nutshell, which is the better product for sound insulation? I'm sure others here are wondering the same thing, so looking forward to responses from those in the know. Oh, while were at it, where are the best places (price) to get either in Johannesburg for a DIY application? Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Jiven

Latest posts