Audio and Video Talk > Valves / Vacuum Tubes

Tube socket extenders?

(1/3) > >>

xenithon:
Hi all. Is there perhaps such a thing as tube socket extenders (I think sometimes called socket savers)? I just got some NOS UK made G.E.C 6080 tubes and they fit in the sockets, but the tube does not go all the way in as the base is a little too large for the cutout - picture attached. Is it unsafe to run like this? Can it damage the amp and/or tubes? Is there such a thing which will "extend" the sockets?

Cheers
X

Hi-Phibian:
Not sure. Maybe another octal socket with copper pins soldered to the lugs with the lug part heatshrinked. no real risk "as is" I think, they my just get knocked out easily and pick up more vibes from the chassis (not with cans I guess)...

xenithon:
Hey there. They are actually quite snug as is and the tube held relatively well in place - the brown plastic base sits flush on top of and level with the perimeter of the cutout. The thing I believe I would need are indeed called "socket savers", often used on tube testers. Highly doubt there are in locally though  :-\

Hi-Phibian:

--- Quote from: xenithon on January 12, 2009, 08:00:56 PM --- The thing I believe I would need are indeed called "socket savers", often used on tube testers. Highly doubt there are in locally though  :-\

--- End quote ---

Seriously doubt that yes, would have thought they are like Dinosaur eggs and no longer made...

ghostinthemachine:
With a little imagination you can make your own.  :)

Buy some sockets
Get some shot tubes with the correct pin set
Good quality wire
Some heat-resistant epoxy
and a good dose of innovation

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version