Microserver/Logitechmediaserver/Spicefly SugarCube build for download

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now Playing

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
To save others the effort of having to do a barebones install and configure of a Microserver for use as a Squeezebox music server I'm making a Clonezilla image of my install available for download.

It's designed to run off a 6-8GB memory stick, albeit it can be written to any hard drive so long as you know how to expand the partition to use the rest of the drive afterwards (not in scope here).  The image is based on Ubuntu Server 12.10 and includes Logitech Media Server Version: 7.8.0 as well as MusicIP integration via Spicefly Sugarcube (I've removed the licensing, so you'd have a 30 day fully functional trial where SugarCube is concerned).

To make use of the image you need to use Clonezilla to write it to a USB stick and then insert that stick into the USB header on the Microserver motherboard and set the BIOS to boot from it rather than a traditional hard drive.  The image is configured to write logs to RAM, and LMS is configured to write its database to a hard drive so the USB doesn't suffer wear and tear.  In  principle all you need do to get it working on your system is make changes to /etc/fstab to mount your drives and create a folder to house LMS' data files on the first HDD in your system.  If using LVM/ raid, you'd need to incorporate that. Similarly, if you're using static IP's you'd need to edit the network config. Perhaps 5 mins of customization all up.

Download the Clonezilla image here.

Getting your system up
Ok, here are the instructions for getting the Clonezilla image of my Microserver working on your Microserver (actually it'd work on any 64 bit capable x86 machine).

Config assumptions
The LMS install anticipates your library to be mounted in the following folder: /diskpool/d1/audiolib.
My library spans 5 HDDs so inside /diskpool/d1/audiolib I have shortcuts pointing to /diskpool/d2/audiolib through /diskpool/d5/audiolib
Now that LMS caters for multiple paths pointing to one's library you could enter each of the paths into LMS if you don't want to go the shortcut route.

Mounting your drives
My server config treats each drive as a discrete entity rather than using a RAID array.  Given storage is relatively cheap I make sure I've got more than one backup and figure that in the event of a disk failure, copying data to a fresh drive is likely to be quicker than rebuilding a 8TB array, so I'd rather have the storage than the redundancy.
Drives need to be mounted in /diskpool, I use d1, d2, d3 etc.
You will need to modify /etc/fstab to mount your drives rather than mine - the drives are identified via their UDID

To list the UDID's of your drives run the following:
Code:
sudo blkid
blkid will list each of your drives and a corresponding UDID

Edit /etc/fstab and change the UDID strings to reflect your drives. This is best done using the nano text editor, as follows:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
When done, save changes using Ctrl-O and enter, followed by Ctrl-X to quit.

You can now reboot the Microserver to give effect to be changes.

LMS should be accessible via http://microserverIP:9000 and MusicIP server via http://microserverIP:10002

User name & password
Given the build serves only to host my music and LMS I've not given much priority to password strength.  Username and password are both "x".