Author Topic: Home Cinema new build  (Read 41231 times)

Offline mervinesh

Re: Home Cinema new build
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »
Hi

The red walls are 3 brick thick. So that will help with sound not leaving the house and troubling the neighbors(hopefully). I am on the corner so I am not that close to the neighbors.

All the other walls are double brick thick. You can check the floor plan below. I am intending on using the framing design on the walls, so hopefully that will help also.

Visited Hi-Fi installations new offices on the weekend and checked out their new listening rooms. Will be going for the solid doors they have used. Seemed pretty solid to keeping the sound in the room. Got a quote from a place that makes sound proof doors. 33K for the standard size door. :ROFLMAO:  :nutter: can you believe it??

Offline CAD

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep Calm,Be Quiet and Listen to the Music
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 10:31:47 AM »
nice going with the fire place,

:thumbs:

+ 1 good move  :thumbs:

Got a quote from a place that makes sound proof doors. 33K for the standard size door. :ROFLMAO:  :nutter: can you believe it??

:faint: they bloody expensive.

Was wondering if one could not use a type of sand filled fire door instead?
The way of the warrior is NO match for the way of the wife.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline PAPPA3

• Trader
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Nakamichi Banana Plugs On Order. Spades in Stock
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 11:49:24 AM »
Re the doors: I'd get someone to make the doors or make it myself.  Your standard doors are only a pine frame with hardboard shell after all  :facepalm:   Then I'd consider putting in 50mm rigid fibreglass as a filling, and perhaps also using a thicker hardboard (such as a thicker supawood) plus more internal bracing.  I'm sure you could get 3 doors for close to R2000-R2500, and all the wood can be cut to size.  All you'd need to do is assemble and paint.

You could also put in a strip of those black seals they sell at Midas that is used for car or trailer insulation.  That should prevent sound leaking and leave you with a very soundproof door.

A concern that I'd have with sand is the weight, plus leaks down the line if the door fail in the future.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:52:26 AM by PAPPA3 »

Offline RPM-MACHINE

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Hi Mervinesh,

I am busy with a home theater build as well. My floor plan is Very similar to yours for that particular section. I think the 3 brick is a good idea. Mine is just a double brick wall all round. My concern was and still is that the vibrations from the wall will reproduce on the other side quite easily. Its the wall that separates the dining and lounge that I am worried about (same as in your case)
Was thinking of building a room within a room construction to counter vibrations reproducing sound on the other side but then I will loose interior width, so still in 2 minds. My width is currently 5.7m x 8.4 long which is nice but after the room within in room, this will diminish to around 5.2m x 7.9

You ever thought about that? It looks like you will finish before me in any case by a good few months, so I will be very eager to see how the sound blocking goes.

Are you putting in a bar behind the second row of seats? This is something that I will do, and maybe you should consider as well?
I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.

Offline mervinesh

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
Wow! that's a lovely size. Even after the room within a room 5.2 x 7.9 is still huge.

I did consider it but it would reduce the size of my room  to an uncomfortable size, so I opted against it.

I would love a bar at the back but it would just end up being to cramped. There's not enough space. So I chose to keep it spacious with just seats.
There is however space in the front between the screen and first row (about 3.5m) which can be used for lounging. I intend to also have a screen on the side wall (just about the sub enclosure) so sport can be viewed when poker night comes around and the lights need to be on.

Offline RPM-MACHINE

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
I intend to also have a screen on the side wall (just about the sub enclosure) so sport can be viewed when poker night comes around and the lights need to be on.

Great Idea!

I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. Can't have the projector running all the time as bulbs are expensive. Was thinking maybe an led projector or even an lcd tv on the wall.

Good luck with the rest of the project and the house itself. I am in a similar boat with major additions and sometimes the rest
of the house just eats up your cash faster than you can say "home theater"  :BWAHAHAH:

Offline Abu

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 03:27:13 PM »
...  sometimes the rest
of the house just eats up your cash faster than you can say "home theater"  :BWAHAHAH:

Amen brother  :'(

Offline Chingy

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 03:46:58 PM »
did someone say Poker night

:thumbs:
VA BW Pre, Tannoy Chevoits,Linn Kann, on Linn Stands,
Power trio (guitar, bass, and drums)

Offline Enigma_2k4

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 05:21:50 PM »
For the cables in the roof, I'd consider runnign some decent conduit / trunking, leave a string / wire running thru the thing so if you ever need to "pull" more cables you can.... just remember to "pull" another string with it for the future :p

Offline mervinesh

« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »
Guys

My worst fear had come true. The ceiling guys have just completed the roof in the media room. So the 20 m HDMi cable and VGA cable was run in the ceiling from the projector point into the store room, where the equipment will be.

Some knob has decided that this cable needed trimming and cut the HDMI cable and VGA cable....Now I have 2 stubs in the storeroom.  :'( :'( :'(

I have to rip out the ceiling boards because I have just paid off the ceiling guys(so I wont see them again) and run a draw wire. I cannot run the risk of running another cable.

:walled:

Offline RPM-MACHINE

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »
Guys

My worst fear had come true. The ceiling guys have just completed the roof in the media room. So the 20 m HDMi cable and VGA cable was run in the ceiling from the projector point into the store room, where the equipment will be.

Some knob has decided that this cable needed trimming and cut the HDMI cable and VGA cable....Now I have 2 stubs in the storeroom.  :'( :'( :'(

I have to rip out the ceiling boards because I have just paid off the ceiling guys(so I wont see them again) and run a draw wire. I cannot run the risk of running another cable.

:walled:

Cant you just buy another 20m cable and join / tie it to the projector end and then pull the other end in the storeroom (ie use the existing hdmi cable as a draw wire) and do the same for vga.

Is the ceiling skimmed already? If so then I wouldnt rip them out.  :stop:

Offline mervinesh

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
Cant you just buy another 20m cable and join / tie it to the projector end and then pull the other end in the storeroom (ie use the existing hdmi cable as a draw wire) and do the same for vga.

Yes, that would be first prize but the bend on the 50mm pipe on the wall and the way the insulation pushes against the wooden frame of the ceiling make it a very difficult task. There are also 6 ceiling speaker cables + 5 lan cables(russound control pads) going thro this 50mm pipe which makes it difficult to pull through a VGA cable + HDMI.

I would hate if the cable gets damaged by pulling too hard... :giggle:

It's not plastered up as yet. So I will be getting in there this weekend.

Offline mervinesh

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2013, 11:28:30 AM »
Quick update:

I was able to run a new HDMI cable quite easily during the weekend. Back on track now. Hope it does not get cut again.

Offline bal1981

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2013, 02:40:18 PM »
Cool thread, wish I had so much space in my theatre room. I only had 4*4m. Keep us updated with the pics!!!

Offline mervinesh

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »
4x4 is quite big  :thumbs:

Here are some new pics's. Not much progress. Just the center part of the ceiling has been plastered.  :yawn: