Author Topic: Vehicle service/part costs - warning *RANT* mode on!  (Read 821 times)

Offline JonnyP

• Gearslut Pro
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • To the centre of the city in the night
Re: Vehicle service/part costs - warning *RANT* mode on!
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2018, 10:18:17 PM »
I remember watching an instructional TV show in the UK (it was one of those strange attempts they made to give people an idea of how to do things pre-internet) with Linda Lusardi (a former Sun glamour model aka page 3 tits) and Sharon Davies (Olympic Swimmer) showing people how to change the oil and filters on a car.  Very strange idea, but thanks to busty Linda, I could probably change the oil and filter even now (don’t judge me, I was 16 and she was hot!) Sharon Davies not so obviously ‘glamour’ but also hot!
Are you waiting for loneliness to paralyse? Are you waiting for sister midnight to anaesthetise?

Offline vleisman

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 10:27:33 PM »
Linda Lusardi, takes me back to the days of Scope magazine. Curly haired brunette?

Offline chrisc

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Cape Town Hi-Fi Club - listen with your ears
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2018, 12:05:06 PM »
Yes, with the fake tan and fake "come hither" look

You can buy a glossy pic for £3 - https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Linda-Lusardi-Hot-Glossy-Photo-No21-/282900435799
Even duct tape can’t fix stupid… but it can muffle the sound

Offline Ampdog

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 02:24:41 AM »
Well then .........................

Will skip the some 12 pages of moan/rant. Perhaps just a few tales/experiences on the lighter side:

Around 1985 I got a Mitsubishi Tredia Turbo (3rd car) - good price, low km. Somewhere near the beginning I noticed a front door top edge was out of alignment (the top edges were 'wrap around' and actually joined the roof right on the roof to minimise wind noise). Spoke to a friendly dealer; was told that they will have to heat it up to bend back to an ideal fit plus respraying  :blah:  While we were talking, I sub-consciously grabbed the concerned upper 'lip' with both hands - and bent it back into position. Not tinny, but still 'bendable' using some strength ............

I am fortunate in being an engineer, and rapidly acquired the necessary tools (not that many) to service my four (consequitive) cars over 50 years of ownership. (The Tredia did 470 000 km until written off by a taxi, three necessary turbo refurbishes.)  Yes, there are good workshops - if only one can find them.

Second car was a 1973 auto Chev Kommando 4.1 station wagon. After one early service I was on my comfortable way Pretoria - Cape, when something started to rattle increasingly.  Stopped after a while, and with some Devine Guidance found that the wheel nuts of a rear wheel required several turns to tighten. The family and I gazed at one another - and I came to a sworn internal conviction: No garage service for me in future. Bought a sturdy trolley jack, stands, a few necessary tools, a gas analyser and other electronic analysers, and never looked back (fine, I was fortunate to obtain original workshop manuals for both the Chev and the Tredia.  The latter was equipped with an electronic diagnostic feature, the analyser for which I was able to build myself).

Perhaps on a positive note - trying to be sympathetic to garage mechanics: Doing the service oneself one is not tied to a certain time schedule.
Still.
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)