2x15" subwoofer DIY holiday project

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalMilitia

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hey Guys

After struggling to find a driver suited for a diy build i decided to use a car audio woofer

i went with a JBL GTO 1502D which had the best specs in comparison to other drivers and cost was relatively low

I would have preferred a JBL GTi 15" but at R6000 each the price is way too steep for this project

I will be building two of these vented subs, one for each corner in the front stage of my home theater as the 12" Polk Psw450 doesn't cut it for movies anymore and seeing that i got another week off i thought this would be an awesome holiday project.

I picked up the ports and binding posts etc from Zakspeed today.......also got myself two JBL Gto's with dual 2ohm voice coils

I will be building a 150litre box for each tuned to 20Hz with 2x4" ports.......according to WinISD the length of the ports will be 72cm

I will be purchasing and getting the wood precut tomorrow and then the assembling can begin

Can someone please confirm whether my calculations are up to scratch regarding WInISd as this is my first DIY home theater sub and i could easily be off  ;D

The amp i had in mind to drive them is the following: The Behringer A500........seeing that the power handling of the subs is 300w rms

http://www.audiosa.co.za/amplifier.htm

Please can you guys give me your thoughts on this project and whether i should keep the box size and tuning as planned

I will be posting pics as i go along

Latest posts