A bothersome question...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rendlan

AVForums Member
Reaction score
OK... If DIY may be loosely defined as layman's R&D, I hope I'm posing this question in the right place...

I've been reading a lot about reel to reel tape machines and the one thing that constantly comes up is that increased frequency response is directly proportional to an increase in tape speed. However... What is deemed to be the worst case scenario for reel to reel, namely 1 7/8ips, is the norm for cassette tape decks, barr a few such as certain Tascam models that can run at 3 3/4ips. Even though these machines run at such low tape speeds, however, they seem to be capable of frequency response on par with the 15ips pro-sumer reel to reel decks.

Now the question/s:

How is this possible?

If it is possible to produce such fidelity at slow speeds with small and fiddly components as is found in cassette decks, then surely it must be possible to equal that in reel to reel, where the tolerances can be more closely met?

Is it simply a case of lack of progressive R&D with regards to reel to reel?

Could it be that the tape used in cassettes have better recording properties that may be utilized in reel to reel with the propper changes to the system?

What are your thoughts, gentlemen?

Greetings,

R.