2.5way sounds crappy

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipwelder

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK so the inductors are about the right size now, very little bump in everything except Janis Ian's voice, all other vocals are cool, the FR is fairly smooth to the ears and the speakers don't sound like bookshelves with a bit of whallop below 250 Hz anymore... they sound like the fairly large speakers they are... but the midrange is just not what it was. I had hoped the 6dB/octave on the one woofer would be fairly inaudible, but I suspect it is muddling up the midrange quite a bit.

Any thoughts? re: the cause? too big resistance in coil (0.3 Ohm), or is it just plain what you gain on the swings you lose on the merry go round? In retrospect I could have wound a MUCH smaller inductor into the active pre... higher resistance (2.5 ohm), but would it matter in that large resistance environment?

Active X-O at 2k 24dB/octave a la http://www.thel-audioworld.de/module/saw/saw.htm

Previously I had a 24dB/octave .5 way at 250Hz, which helped a little but couldn't give the nice gradual decline needed for BSC, but it didn't stuff up the midrange above that so much.. ::).

Latest posts