Author Topic: Headphone rating/recommendations sticky  (Read 7446 times)

Offline Scubadude

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Depressed? Cans on, volume up, ignore the world!
Re: Headphone rating/recommendations sticky
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 09:47:34 PM »
Quote from: Curlycat

I discovered this site, very informative with short concise info on cans.

http://ko.goldenears.net/board/GR_Headphones

You will have to translate to English - in Chrome it's right click and select translate page...

No need to translate the English Goldenears Site
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 09:55:30 PM by Scubadude »
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline Curlycat

• Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+49)
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 09:49:24 PM »

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 10:26:45 PM »
BINGO !  :thumbs: Cool site hey?

Absolutely ... great measurements and concise assessments.
"We should no more let numbers define audio quality than we should let chemical analysis be the arbiter of fine wines."  Nelson Pass

Offline kamikazi

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 09:29:42 PM »
You guys know its in English as well? Never mind doesn't look like it's been updated in a while, still useful for older references.

http://en.goldenears.net/
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 09:32:01 PM by kamikazi »

Offline Wolvebain

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Consummate Rambler
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2016, 04:16:08 PM »
Headphone [make/model]: Shure SE846 IEM's
Rating [pro/cons]: 7/10 - Pros: EVERYTHING!!!. Cons:Price, No inline controls/Mic cable included, expected better cable feel for the price
Sound type/for music type: All. Detailed representation, with ample power.
Competitor/rival: Westone W60
Price range: ~R.15,000.oo [amazon import]- R.17,700.oo [locally]
Where to buy locally: MercuryMusic.co.za

Construction:
Solid and light units, and since I opted for the Blue in colour version, aesthetically stunning.
The shape of units fits comfortably and securely into my ears; movement, specially with it's chunky stock cable won't case them to be dislodged.

The stock cable does feel a bit cheap tho... Very rubbery feel, and seems to tangle easily; not what I expected in an item of this price.  No inline controls or Mic cable bundled either.
I've ordered the Logitech UE 900 Communications Cable, as it seems to be getting some good reviews for the SE535 & SE846.

Sound:
Just amazing!!
If there is a draw-back, it would have to be the space is not that of open cans.
But the sound is great, that I cannot help feel that it supersedes my past IEM's and starts to sound like supra aural headphones.

The detail is ever present, but the bass is not sacrificed.
When listening to Chris Coco's version of Albatross when leaving work yesterday on the Gautrain, these IEM took an already magical song, and made me picture an Albatross in flight, in a starry-night, over a moon-light ocean,.. with it's wings moving to the bass beat.
With these IEM's when I listening to the smooth vocals of The Manhattans, the subtle guitar riffs are present and crisp, along with the bass and drums that define R&B.
They sound amazing when listening to Cream's White Room, Led Zepp's Custard Pie, Rage Against The Machine's Township Rebellion, Run the Jewels Close Your Eyes, .... everything.

I'm driving them on my HTC 10 phone, with Neutron Music Player.
Why stand on a silent platform?
Fight the war...

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 10:52:10 AM »
You will have to translate to English - in Chrome it's right click and select translate page...

http://en.goldenears.net/

Or you can use the English site above ...

I love their rating scale ... creates a vivid image of the character of the cans without the use of flowery language.

Offline Tenflare

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Member
  • Gaming on orthodynamics since 2006.
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »
MONOPRICE MONOLITH M1060 REVISION 2

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Monolith-M1060-Planar-Headphones/dp/B01N32N5DD

PROS:
- Price $$$
- Planar sound with brilliant detail, accuracy and quick linear bass
- Very open, airy and spacious
- Comfortable
- Soundstage and imaging are optimal
- LCD2-esque
- A potato can drive them...
- ...but they scale very well to any amping (apart from tubes)
- Suited to critical listening
- Very EQ friendly

CONS:
- Import only
- Mids are not as clear as the rest of the range
- The build quality is absolutely compromised and therefore worrying.
- The highs aren't to everyone's tastes. Be prepared to mod them if you hate sparkly treble (I don't).
- They don't respond well to valves/tubes (subjective)
- Might not be laid back enough for some
- Although easy to drive, they are open-back, and strictly for home use. If you're after something portable, buy Portapros. If you're after something good looking buy MSR7's.

MUSIC SUITABILITY:
I listen to a lot of different kinds of music and I believe the M1060's are suited to all music tastes. I've had great experiences with musicians as sonically varied as Lorde, Lana Del Rey, Dr Dre, Nico Vega,  J Cole, Hurts, Linkin Park, Chris Cornell, Tool, Deftones, Pink Floyd, Massive Attack and The Prodigy among hundreds of others. Live music, movie soundtracks, and complex synth genres like Glitch and Electropop will enjoy the seperation here as well. I find they tend more toward female vocals than male, but this has been an experience with most of my collection.

They are VERY REVEALING and will expose bad production practice such as overcompression. I reckon this is why the tubes seem so much more distorted on these than on my dynamics.     

COMPETITORS
- Fostex Mk III series (you have to factor in the price of an amp here though)
- Hifiman 400 series
- Oppo PM3 (a slightly pricer, prettier, closed back alternative?)
- People do tend to include the Audeze stuff here. I won't because I think it's stupid considering the price difference.

OVERALL
I don't like using audio jargon. Instead I will describe these as a sort of sonic marriage between dynamic and planar headphones with a signature remiscent of both. The signature is U-shaped and far more bassy than other orthos I've tried. If you can imagine a Sennheiser HD598/599 on planar magnetic steroids, you've got the signature dead on.

Be warned though, these will not replace your Hifiman 560's, or your LCD-4's which pair proper shaping with far superior build quality. You'll compare them directly and then be be put off by the high praise, and ignore the price tag and the achievement.

Instead, regard these for what they are: a far more representitive entry into the world of planar magnetic headphones than Fostex orthos, with all the audio hallmarks entailed: like quickness, amp scaleability, and superb imaging and separation.

Yes, they are absolutely worth the price of admission. Yes, they are "giant killers". I think they're a watershed moment in high-end audio and I highly recommend them. Well done, Monoprice.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:59:57 PM by Tenflare »
Never use a graph when a good metaphor will do...

Offline Scubadude

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 09:13:16 AM »
Thanks Tenflare!  Nice write-up!

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "Life's too short to wear a crappy watch!"
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 09:41:07 AM »
Outstanding review - well written and to the point whilst avoiding the standard jargon - I feel that I have a good handle on how these perform with different types of music.  In fact, you have made me quite keen to listen to them... :thumbs:

Perhaps these CAN be driven by an edible tuber, but out of interest what are you actually using?

Look forward to more from you.

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 12:00:53 PM »
Outstanding review - well written and to the point whilst avoiding the standard jargon - I feel that I have a good handle on how these perform with different types of music.  In fact, you have made me quite keen to listen to them... :thumbs:

Perhaps these CAN be driven by an edible tuber, but out of interest what are you actually using?

Look forward to more from you.
Hey man!

Thanks for the praise. I was a bit afraid that my review style might offend some but I reckon some might feel as I do, that the typical audio review can be bit overly technical.

My only tube amp is the modest Little Dot MkII with standard Chi Fi power tubes and the JAN 5654's shaping the audio. Perhaps I was being too frank saying that tubes don't like these when I lack the equipment to properly AB (I've only gotten into tubes recently). Nevertheless, the distortion that the tubes introduce is amplified more through these cans than on say, my DT990's -- which for me are glorious used in this fashion.

Maybe a smoother sounding pair of bulbs will suit the cans far more? I'm looking into acquiring some Russians tubes and Mullards for rolling purposes so I will definitely report back on that once those arrive.

Offline capetownwatches

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • "Life's too short to wear a crappy watch!"
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »
If you'd like to hear what they sound like powered by some high quality discrete Class A single ended grunt you are most welcome to pop over to my place sometime.

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 06:04:09 PM »
Can't say the idea doesn't appeal. :P Are you based in CT?

Offline Tenflare

• AVForums Member
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 11:15:15 PM »
OK. I had another listen with the M1060's on the tubes...

:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

It seems I was a bit hasty in my review. Tubes LOVE these things and the fault lies squarely at my feet for my song choices whilst AB'ing.

I guess in the loudness war, nobody wins.