Author Topic: Mentoring Section  (Read 1160 times)

Offline arthurp

Mentoring Section
« on: January 20, 2013, 05:46:55 PM »
Dear Mods

I wish to make a suggestion concerning a method to deal with troublesome posters who are destroying otherwise reasonable threads and certainly tarnishing the image of this forum.

Now this may make extra work for yourselves but it may be worth a trial run.

Create a Mentoring Category, not a banning but rather an overseeing group, wherein you place those posters deemed to be troublesome, for whatever reason (I am not including those who deserve outright banning). This means their posts are not immediately visible but must be vetted, queried or returned for editing (with suggestions) to the troublesome poster until cleared for human consumption.

Some qualities may include provocation, insulting or demeaning content or vulgar abbreviations; perhaps even others.

I expect the outcome of such activity to be improved quality on this forum.

Regards
Bushmills single malt - the only worthwhile audio tweak.
Me, I go with what my ears can hear; the rest is hearsay  8).
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.
---Mark Twain---

Offline Hi-Phibian

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+48)
  • I really prefer email, see my banner for address..
    • Croak Audio Exploration
Mentoring Section
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »
The road of the mod, though paved with good intentions will surely lead to hell this way.

Personally I think a thread boycott makes more sense, don't feed the troll or ignore the posts, don't engage. Let folks decide and be aware of who and what you are. We are all close to being adults I think and your utterances here will echo for as long as the server HDD spins...

I do think it may be a good thing for forum owners to verify identities of members. Avoids hoaxers and trolling hoaxers.
Proprietor of Croak Audio Exploration.
Fair, not crazy, cash paid for turntables and tonearms from Rega, Linn and Thorens.          http://www.croak.co.za

Offline u235

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • I'm sure I can hear the difference now.........
    • Youngblood Consultants
Re: Mentoring Section
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 07:10:28 PM »
Nice idea, very hard to implement. The work-load is one thing, but the other is that it would be a pretty arduous process for the poster too. Personally, if that had been required when I joined, I would never have done it.

How about an induction pack, e-mailed to the newbie, with the important rules highlighted. For me, manners are the biggest thing- play the ball, not the man. Behave with respect.

And maybe they should be quicker to Chill the offenders.
Upon the plains bleach the bones of countless millions, who on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died.

Offline arthurp

Re: Mentoring Section
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
Nice idea, very hard to implement.

Thank you, and yes, not easy.

Maybe a captcha type approach where dodgy members are forced to use it for moderation - and only dodgy users which criteria would need definition and increased mod management.

Self policing is worth a try, but I suspect some may be overcome by the scent of battle etc. and the forrem are bak to skware wun.

I dunno, do I?
Bushmills single malt - the only worthwhile audio tweak.
Me, I go with what my ears can hear; the rest is hearsay  8).
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.
---Mark Twain---