Author Topic: Vintage audio is a sport.....  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+58)
Vintage audio is a sport.....
« on: January 13, 2013, 09:26:02 PM »
1.The Sprinter:You've connected it all up hastily and retreated to the listening position,all seems well when suddenly loud snaps and pops break the otherwise blissful state,priceless speakers hitting the endstops,disbelief lasts a millisecond,tears flow while an otherwise inanimate ass lifts,almost by divine intervention and arms and legs start pumping across the floor while the mind shouts to itself..."Why did I plug it in,Why the fook did I plug it in?"
Hands suddenly become surgical instruments,ripping plugs out,turning down the volume,hitting switches and then......... an eerie silence,followed by the punishment.
You sit and and swear at yourself in the most vulgar language,sweat pouring and praying that when you connect your regular amp the speakers will actually work.....but first you touch them,pushing on the cones as if this form of perversion will somehow revive the charcoal black voicecoils.God is consulted and when they both sing again you do the "Let's give thanks thing" followed by opening the faulty amp,tapping on a few things and then repeating the procedure....
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline oNyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • All things vintage has history.
Re: Vintage audio is a sport.....
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 09:40:13 PM »
I saw a interesting signature on this forum (or a different forum)

"Magic Smoke is expensive" something like that.
Recapping of vintage equipment isn't restoration. By definition, restoration means returning to it's original condition.

Oh, what difficult hobby this is. When you hear something new you'll find yourself swapping out or upgrading kit.

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:52:36 PM »
The darts player.....bent awkwardly forward with just a bare piece of wire and a single goal....to bend said wire into half moon shape around "the bullseye" speaker binding post of vintage amp.......4x in a row no less!The competition is stellar,four worn screw in connectors that have seen anything from jackhammers to cellphone screwdrivers,they are positioned more favorably than you in an inaccessible wall unit and the bastards silently sit at the back waiting to piss themselves at your contorted arm as it enters spasm and drops the tool intended to assault them.
Ain't life twisted when one of said screws is cross-threaded and yet another has a philips where a flat once lived.You proudly manage to loosen and nail the first attempt only to realize that you've connected the - to the + post and so the battle begins........
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 02:53:43 PM »
Uh, oh... :faint:

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 03:12:51 PM »
Interpretive dance (sometimes incorporating yodeling): A variety of approaches can be made in this noble sport, most spectacularly being the sudden capacitor discharge via screwdriver and the rather high voltage found in the intrinsically safe 'live chassis' valve amps of yore.

Extra points can be had based on the duration of the dance, visual effects (sparks, fire, explosions) and doing the exact same thing again.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »
Interpretive dance (sometimes incorporating yodeling): A variety of approaches can be made in this noble sport, most spectacularly being the sudden capacitor discharge via screwdriver and the rather high voltage found in the intrinsically safe 'live chassis' valve amps of yore.

Extra points can be had based on the duration of the dance, visual effects (sparks, fire, explosions) and doing the exact same thing again.

:BWAHAHAH:

You forgot the extra points also for inventive colourful language and cursing the items ancestry! :point:

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »
When ye said thy bass go boom, it really did go boom.
Recapping of vintage equipment isn't restoration. By definition, restoration means returning to it's original condition.

Oh, what difficult hobby this is. When you hear something new you'll find yourself swapping out or upgrading kit.

Online dogears

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • A Tad Addlepated
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 12:39:46 AM »
I was similarly engaged in a bit of sporting frenzy just yesterday, wielding my puny no name, trigger equipped soldering gun in a  ferocious "death grip*."  Such was my fear of causing untold and irreversible harm to what must be one of the first circuit boards ever made (I may be exaggerating somewhat as to the heritage of the scrap heap find I was practicing on here), that even though back in the mists of time I must have rtfm'd on the iron at/in hand, all and any thoughts as to correct gun procedure were totally blacked out from my utterly out of it's depth mind.

So there I was, board, flux and gun all poised , sweat starting to trickle and tickle, finger crushing the trigger as I watched and waited for the first signs of melting metal.  Somewhere in the back of my brain signals were trying to get through.  Was it the flux making the smelly smoke and why was my hand getting hotter?  More smoke, more heat and suddenly I realized that this was not right, the gun was starting to do a Uri Geller on me, drooping over like a Dali watch.  Too late I recalled that one was only meant to pull the trigger for short bursts, not empty the mag in one extended volley.  Gobs of green plastic were now drooping from the smoking oriental iron.

So…  Idiots, electricity, heat and cheap tools are not a match made in heaven.  Sport indeed. :facepalm:

* an extremely tight grip caused especially by fear, first noted in 1829 - Merriam-Webster.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:52:24 AM by dogears »

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 12:50:05 AM »
And not to mention tracks on circuit boards keep tearing up when the soldering iron is too hot.

Offline Sweetsound

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 10:48:24 AM »
The Mini Work-Out Routine: (practiced by the audiophile during critical listening, but really invented by sports people...)

1. Side to side turning of the head. Done to test imaging and staging - warming the neck muscles
2. Rolling of the neck (slowly). Often done with eyes closed. Done to get into the music and listen for fine nuances of a fingernail against a string or the soft click of a distortion pedal -   practicing the neck muscles
3. Small adjusting of the seating angle. Done slowly, millimetres at a time from left to right, using the hands and arms, to find the sweetspot. Really only shuffling along on the bum - practices the shoulders, arms and portion of the back. (also releases tension in the higher back on the frantic backswing of the arm to cover the increasingly visible ass-creak)
4. Shifting position (forward and backward). Done a tad faster than in nr 3., and this is mostly to establish depth of instrumental presentation and overall imaging - practicing stomach muscles, lower back and arms
5. The quick jumping up-manoeuvre. Mostly done at the end of the routine when the first of endless Eureka! moments arrive. Also occurs in the middle of a routine to change a LP/CD, or to pull up one's pants for a change - practices the whole body really, especially the palm of one's hand when grabbing hold of furniture when the head-rush strikes 

That's why we're all fit and in good shape...
God invented stereo, then the 2 ears...

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 12:00:30 PM »
he he, nice one Sweetsound...

You think vintage audio is sport... You should try DIY audio and weightlifting  Goofy

Since we like pictures here goes:

Fostex FE166e Back Loaded Horns

My first project. Pretty heavy. But what really makes this one a sport to move is the sheer size at 90x50x30cm  :whip:

Putting them in the car (without scratching the cabs, or worse, damaging the delicate "banana pulp" cones).  :point: Think Twister

Garrard AP 76 + Fostex FE166e BLH + Rotel RX202 - MkII by arclients, on Flickr

Garrard 301 in a 'moerse groot' plinth

Yip, all 30Kg's of beast. To make it more challenging it has nice spiked feet so if you misplace it on the HiFi rack or try slide it along; there is going to be damage...

Garrard 301 Plinth Build - first plug-in by arclients, on Flickr

Big Bass on a Budget... Weight: Unknown

Great. The operative word is big  :faint:

Fine when they looked like this:

Big bass on a budget Build - Bracing by arclients, on Flickr

But when I had reached the following stage I battled to move them...

Big bass on a budget Build - Number 1 glued!!! by arclients, on Flickr

By the time they were done I needed to go over to the neighbour to get him to help me load them (notice the 32mm MDF 'rails' - that's how I moved them around the garage)...

Big bass on a budget Build - loaded :-) by arclients, on Flickr

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 12:23:35 PM »
  ;D...the art of initial self deception is the one I love most......you know it,a new component gets added to the rack followed by ooh's and aah's and "just listen to the bass and the hf extension"...fast forward a week and suddenly it's boo's and baa's and "just listen to the boom and the treble's headache intention." Audio geeks are funny chops.

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 12:40:09 PM »
  ;D...the art of initial self deception is the one I love most......you know it,a new component gets added to the rack followed by ooh's and aah's and "just listen to the bass and the hf extension"...fast forward a week and suddenly it's boo's and baa's and "just listen to the boom and the treble's headache intention." Audio geeks are funny chops.

The real question should be; does it look good in the rack?  :)

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter: