Author Topic: Coral 3-ways and a Akai  (Read 14496 times)

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
Re: Coral 3-ways and a Akai
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2013, 06:18:35 AM »
^^^ I'm not sure if you are this argumentative on purpose or if it's your nature, but whatever it is it's becoming rather tiresome. One thing I've been told pretty early in life was that you can't learn anything with your mouth open all the time. That's some sage advice, maybe you can stop arguing for long enough for that comment to sink in? You clearly have a lot to learn still so do us all a favour and try?
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline oNyX

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Breaking News: Charizard defeats Alduin...
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2013, 12:58:38 PM »
How can one learn when people like Dean gives sarcastic answers. I have looked up Passive crossovers on wikipedia, all I see is the things I already know and that I'll will never understand.
| Pioneer SA-508 | Pioneer S-Z85D |
| NAD 3020A | AR 18S | HP MP200 |

Dispelling Popular Audio Myths

The Pre-History of British Audiophile Mythologies

Offline fdlsys

• Vinylist
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Do you like life, sweetheart?
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »
"Looking-up" is for referencing or verifying what one already knows. "Learning" is absorbing and understanding what one does NOT know (yet). Patience young apprentice. And much more commitment towards learning, not just looking-up.
Passive Filter / Crossover understanding is as basic as it gets. You don't need to be able to design anything out of your mind, just understand the concept and be able to use the 1000s of free software tools available for free. Even active filters are a simple concept and highly routinized.
You don't want to go around forever talking about "missing crossovers", "sharper tweeters" and calling every bigger speaker a "subwoofer", do you?
The four building blocks of the universe are fire, water, gravel and vinyl. Dave Barry
Come back when you’ve lived a little. Miles Davis

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »
When I said no crossovers, I meant it doesn't have those crossovers that I'm used to seeing. PCB with coils, resistors and caps on it. If the current "crossovers" are sufficient, then I'm not gonna waste time searching for stuff that ain't needed. All I asked is if there are something better to replace it with. Since its a miracle that these Corals ended up here, the chances of finding real Coral xo is just as slim. Cheapos xo I assume will not do a great job.

When I upgraded the caps on my Pioneers from 3.3uF to a higher 4.7uF they sounded sharper than before, so sharp stay sharp.

What should I call bass drivers then? Or is the term subwoofer strictly reserved for HT?

Online mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
Bass drivers are bass drivers. Subs deal with a lower range.

Changing the value of a cap changes the frequency cutoff. A higher value lets the tweeter start a bit lower down the frequency range so it will sound more prominent.
Always up for coffee and investments - insurance - retirement.

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2013, 02:52:08 PM »
So its just a woofer?

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+7)
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 03:13:09 PM »
When I said no crossovers, I meant it doesn't have those crossovers that I'm used to seeing. PCB with coils, resistors and caps on it. If the current "crossovers" are sufficient, then I'm not gonna waste time searching for stuff that ain't needed. All I asked is if there are something better to replace it with. Since its a miracle that these Corals ended up here, the chances of finding real Coral xo is just as slim. Cheapos xo I assume will not do a great job.

When I upgraded the caps on my Pioneers from 3.3uF to a higher 4.7uF they sounded sharper than before, so sharp stay sharp.

What should I call bass drivers then? Or is the term subwoofer strictly reserved for HT?

what you need to find out is what did you do exactly by doing this.

1 made the cross over point a bit lower
2 attenuated the tweeter a bit.

possible effects.
loader than the other drivers causing it to sound "sharp"
and then there are the more to deal with less finesse scenario
etc etc etc.

like the others have said. good thing to LEARN about these things.

Offline frikkie

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 03:23:34 PM »
So its just a woofer?

Correct - it's a woofer or a bass driver.
As far as the cross-overs go - even just a single cap in line with a tweeter is termed a cross-over, albeit a very basic first-order one.
Most cheaper music-centre type speakers run very basic cross-overs.

However, having said that - I have a set of Sharp 3-ways at home, that run only caps on the midrange and tweeter, and they are very sweet sounding speakers, I suspect in no small part because they have very well-built cabinets and are correctly ported. They excel in near-field use, with lovely tight bass and very balanced and open mids and tops, with a wide stereo image. All this despite their modest design.

I remember those Coral speakers quite fondly. I guess they're not what most would call high fidelity, but they are pleasant to listen to - very laid-back non-fatiguing quality to them if I remember correctly.
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline LAV

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »

However, having said that - I have a set of Sharp 3-ways at home, that run only caps on the midrange and tweeter, and they are very sweet sounding speakers.
Frikkie, you're confusing us. Are they sharp or sweet?  :tongue:
Vaal Triangle (Southern Gauteng)

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »
Glad to hear frikkie. I have another pair of Goldstar 3-ways with real crossovers. They sound uhhmm.... :thinking:

.... good if you don't compare it with anything else in your home. :walled:

Offline The Godfather

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2013, 03:55:38 PM »

I don't think anybody said anything about them being sufficient as it is impossible to know without measuring. Also the term sufficient is subjective and depends on cost. It is not a yes or no answer. Spend more and you will get improvement to some degree, the question is how much improvement and is it worth it.

You may well be able to design a better crossover, but you will need accurate measuring equipment in order to do so. At the most basic level of understanding, the main point of that exercise will be to try and get as smooth a frequency response as is possible. Inductors , Caps and Resistors are not cheap though.

One small thing you can do is check what kind of capacitor is on there. Is it an electrolytic (Little round can type thing) or is it a film capacitor (squarish). If it is electrolytic you may find that changing to a film cap will be beneficial.

Offline frikkie

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2013, 03:57:58 PM »
Frikkie, you're confusing us. Are they sharp or sweet?  :tongue:

They're sweet Sharps, and they sound sweet, not sharp. :thinking:  :help:

Sharp-sharp.  :ROFLMAO:
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2013, 04:00:38 PM »
I think they are electrolytic. And there's something about non-polar on the caps.

Sweet, sharp. Whatever fits the bill.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:04:12 PM by oNyX »

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+56)
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »
Let me know if you are ever down in the Southern Suburbs Onyx and come pop in,I want to meet you and give you something.
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+56)
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2013, 05:23:21 PM »
...and don't worry about Dean....i tease him,he teases you etc....you will actually like the degenerate and I will make sure he also brings a present for you.
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.