Coral 3-ways and a Akai

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oNyX

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I received a pair of 3-way Coral speakers today (the kit one), they are used and not in a good condition. The wood needs some sanding and the cloth must be replaced. Inside the speakers seems fine, they have two caps & two resistors mounted on a strip. No crossovers. The kit doesn't look completed because some screws are missing and there are holes in the wood for screws but no holes below it to tighten the screws. There's only one Coral badge left, sealed brand new.

They have 2H-21A tweeters (20W, 8 ohms), 5M-12 mids (40W, 8 ohms) and 10L-24 Subwoofers (50W, 8 ohms). Each speaker seems to have their own frequency response as stated on the speaker magnets themselves.

Tweeter: 3 - 20KHZ
Mids: 0.8 - 14KHz
Subs: 35 - 2000Hz

So here's my first question: Should I get 3-way crossovers for these, at which frequencies should they cross over and where in the Cape Town area can I get them?

Along with the speakers came an 40 year old Akai AA-910 still in it's box. At first it seems pretty brand new and unused. The aluminum still shines bright with no scratches, but after turning it on I realized the tuning knob for the radio is stuck. So stuck that I have to turn it with both hands. It also has a dual volume knob, but the second small knob doesn't work. It's scratchy and intermittent.
http://audio-database.com/AKAI/amp/aa-910-e.html

Second question: What can I do to ease the the movement of the tuning knob so that it works normal again?

Hopefully the dual volume is replaceable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts