Steinhart Schematic

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Family_Dog

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Due to an apparent upsurge in popularity of theSteinhart amplifiers, I am attaching the schematic as a "Sticky".

I have a hand-drawn the Steinhart diagram that I scanned some six years ago, from an original sketch done by Gunther. I was after the one with the KT88 valves, the sketch he gave me was for PL519 outputs. He crossed out the PL519 and wrote KT88 in his own handwriting and said "It's the same thing". Filament voltages differ as do the valve base pinouts. He uses a -50V Bias supply here. My amplifier does not have any semiconductors bar the BU208A in the 450V supply. The cathode voltages should be set at 2v for the KT88 valves, this may differ when using PL519 valves.

A word of warning: Gunther did not fit bleeder resistors to discharge the smoothing caps, I fitted some myself. If the caps are not discharged, they store energy, which you will soon discover when the AC power is off and the caps discharge through your fingers.

SteinhartAmp_zpsa54308d2.jpg

Pictured below is my TVP800 Amplifier.

1678126000336.png

-F_D