12" sub build - First build

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyCLown

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I need to get this build going, my first build ever, I am going to need some assistance - have a few random questions as well and am hoping I can get some assist / guidance here as well.

So it will be a 12" JBL GT4 (car sub) in approx 65L (?) sealed enclosure (was thinking 40 x 45 x 50 for outer dimensions) - I have done some playing around with WinISD and with a 6dB boost at around 30Hz it is relatively flat to 30Hz and seems reasonable to me?
As for the amp I shall see what I am able to get my hands on - some PA amp most likely.
I was thinking of using 22mm MDF although would probably need to add some bracing as well then?

I have a few random questions:
*Will the shape of the enclosure matter much, rectangle vs cube etc.
*Where is the best place to get wood as well as get it cut? I do not really own any power tools, yet.
*Best / easiest way to  create the hole to mount the driver as well as holes for the terminals?
*Where can I get some F-clamps and decent wood glue from - as well as binding terminal and spikes / feet.

I am quite eager to get this all sorted sooner than later, start working on it this weekend if possible. No clue yet as to what I want to do to make the enclosure look pretty although I think I shall leave the MDF look for now and later on make it "pretty looking".

Latest posts