Author Topic: Software for acoustic analysis: Room EQ Wizard  (Read 7702 times)

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+31)
Software for acoustic analysis: Room EQ Wizard
« on: January 02, 2013, 11:33:11 AM »
If you're planning on doing any acoustic treatment in your listening space  (highly recommended if you want to get the best out of your hi-fi investment) then you're going to need some software to aid in the acoustic analysis.  Room EQ Wizard (REW) is excellent, free software that runs on Linux, Windows and OS X.  Whilst REW is free, you must be registered and logged in to the Home Theater Shack Forums to access downloads.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:47:12 PM by audiomuze »
I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things -- Tom Waits

Free your mind...and your ass will follow.

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Re: Software for acoustic analysis: Room EQ Wizard
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 04:14:34 PM »
So to make it work you then just add a mic and plug into the line in of your computer?
Do you need a sound card that can play sounds and record at the same time?
It's only hifi people....

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 05:48:13 PM »
The user guide sets out all you need to know incl. hardware requirements etc.  You're typically not going to want to use your PC's sound card if wanting an accurate view of the room's acoustic characteristics - most PC and laptop mic inputs are NOT suitable and should not be used (they have too much gain and most suffer from high noise levels and limited bandwidth).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 05:55:44 PM by audiomuze »

Offline Rotten Johnny

• ROONed for life.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:08:58 PM »
To aid in analysis and comparison the preferred axis for ALL subwoofer graphs is:

VERTICAL = 45dB-105dB
HORIZONTAL = 15Hz-200Hz.

The preferred axis for full range graphs is:

VERTICAL = 45dB-105dB
HORIZONTAL = 15Hz-25,000Hz.

These values are defaulted into REW, but can easily change as you view different areas of the frequency response and must be set back to these axis for posting graphs.

Offline perfectionist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:51 AM »
http://www.realtraps.com/art_measuring.htm

In the link above Ethan Winer gives a very basic but quick set up for REW.

Offline marsbeetle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »
Here's a free audio spectrum analyzer for the Mac only - http://www.dogparksoftware.com/iSpectrum.html

I have no experience with it but came across it while look for Mac specific audio software and figured it was worth adding here. Personally, I prefer anything that's native over Java.

Offline WD

• Formerly Waterhond
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 03:24:30 PM »
The folks at MiniDSP who are sponsors of REW have a USB measuring microphone, the UMIK-1 for $75 plus shipping etc., - plug & play - also automatically prompts to load the custom calibration file in the latest REW.
New stock due end of January but you can pre-order.

Means you don't need a sound card for mic input (or phantom power) and if you're using HDMI or dac output output to test your setup.

http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/detail/flypage/97-umik-1?sef=hfp

"The UMIK-1 is an omni-directional USB measurement microphone providing Plug & Play acoustic measurement. From speaker & room acoustic measurement to recording, this microphone provides low noise and accurate results you can rely on. Forget about driver installation, OS compatibility and un-calibrated mics. The Umik-1 is a USB Audio class 1 device automatically recognized by all Operating Systems (Windows/Mac/Linux). It is provided with a unique calibration file based on the serial number. The UMIK-1 is a perfect fit for all audio acoustic measurement software."

Offline Vaughan

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 04:47:28 PM »
I might just decide to get me one of those. Currently got a Dayton UMM-6 mic, calibrated by Cross-Spectrum, as well as a Galaxy CM-140 SPL meter (also calibrated by Cross-Spectrum). Not requiring phantom power/external sound card is a big deal to me. Measurements so far indicate same or similar accuracy to a calibrated UMM-6/ECM-8000 which is icing on the cake.

Thanks for the link.

Offline Rodney_gold

• R.I.P. 5 June 2018
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
You could buy an XTZ which is self contained....
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline Vaughan

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+14)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »
XTZ is a little too basic for my needs. Their Pro 2 unit which is their top spec has, if I'm not mistaken, 1/12 octave resolution for measuring the low bass response. In my experience this is far too course a resolution to be of any real value, especially when applying parametric EQ filters.

REW is far more complete, offers far greater accuracy and is just more powerful in terms of what you can do with it. For the casual guy looking to measure his frequency response, look at before and after results, and the odd waterfall chart, it's fine. Although if I wanted an all-in-one type solution I would rather choose Omnimic over XTZ, but it really depends on your goals and what you intend to do with the software. REW is one of the most comprehensive acoustic software tools available, in my opinion.