Tapedeck Heaven.....i almost cant believe it chaps...

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andre Vermeulen

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So i got back the Tascam 122mk3 from my friend Rory,now FDL dont worry you are number one in line for new ownership but playtime has begun and gents i honestly dont know what to say other than i am gobsmacked at just how brilliant this deck sounds,incredibly low noise and hiss,flawless recordings that i never knew were even possible and from a virtually dead format....i recorded a Fourplay cd and i honestly find it very difficult to tell the difference between the two.I ran down to my local charity shop and grabbed a box of tapes,mostly 70's and 80's some 90's as well.Here are a few i tried...Van Morrison's One night live in San Francisco,George Winston Piano Solo,Frank Sinatra's Strangers in the Night,one by one they absolutely floored me with proper bass great delivery in the mids and more treble than i thought possible....for years i have always believed the format was fatally flawed,i guess years of 80's rubbish plastic decks(all i was exposed to sadly) formed this impression.....granted this unit is considered to be right up with the very best ever made and it was well and truly in Nos condition,3 head,3motor behemoth with vu's,ganged record level pots,separate biasing adjustments etc.....and balanced outputs nogal...what an absolute trip this is and in the sound department no novelty i assure you,absolutely involving and musical....nothing more and nothing less.Can someone perhaps give me some routine maintenance advice such as the frequency of head cleaning and how to keep pinch rollers nice and new.....i must also confess that the deck has some features that downright intimidate me as well but i will study the manual....over to the experts....