Why vinyl?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fdlsys

R.I.P 03/2024 Vinylist, DIYer
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
Art Dudley, "Stereophile", May 31, 2008, "Listening #65", focusing on Thorens TD124 restoration, tips & tricks...

"
Digital dissident though I am, I've never been comfortable in analog's amen corner, simply because the commonly stated reasons for loving vinyl?smoother highs, greater spatial depth, more timbral warmth, et al?aren't my reasons. My reasons have almost nothing to do with sound and everything to do with music: Except for the best DSD applications I've heard, music that's recorded and played back digitally doesn't have the momentum that I hear in even the grungiest, lamest analog settings. Digitized music doesn't flow from note to note the way real music does?and that's something that analog does routinely well, apparently without trying.

That's what I hear when I listen to my Thorens TD 124 Mk.II?only more so: Not just sounds being pushed at me, but lines of notes being pulled along in front of me. Lately, that has made all the difference.

"