Rare Audio Gear in South Africa

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mafioso

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi

In an earlier post, we saw a tantalising glimpse of JDZA's delectable audio rarities and I'm sure other members here also have prized and valuable audio gear. A few days ago, I had a call from  a local gentleman who owns two Neumann cartridges, for example.

As JDZA wrote, South Africa's demographics and late start of TV transmission, the wealth of mielie, cattle and wool farmers and 'old money' scattered throughout the country surely encouraged a considerable number of well to do locals to acquire some really high end audio equipment.

Has anyone here acquired some of this equipment and do you think there are still undiscovered audio equipment from say when stereo started - lurking in cellars and lofts?

OK. I'll start. I regularly used to be transfixed by a friend's 'object of derision' - a fearsome nightmare pre of knobs and sliders called "Galactron" from the land of the Prancing Horse. Hope there are no Customs Officers on this board. I was once upon a time complicit in smuggling this beast out of the country in an old fashioned doctor's leather bag - a rather large bag, I must add. It had to go back to Italy for repairs and there it was promptly attended to and came back in the same bag in fine fettle - complete with a set of fine, free of charge Italianmade interconnects. The trouble was, it came back to the Customs at the airport and not at the point of departure which was Customs Cape Mail. More trouble was that the friendly Italians at Galactron forgot to mention the equipment was returned here after repairs in Italy. Some really fancy adlibbing and Italian charm was needed to free the beast from Cape Town Customs.

mafioso

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 215