Author Topic: The Whisky thread  (Read 119388 times)

Offline TimbaLand

Re: Glenfiddich - 50 Year Old
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »
not so sure. the JW double black is pretty awesome.
I drank it 2 weeks ago after It was offered to me. Of allthe JW Kool aids I think its the best

The worst thing about JW is the after taste that lingers in the mouth. I would liken it to a sub that continues humming and thundering long after the explosion is gone
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline avi

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 01:59:26 PM »
Of all the whikey i've ever tasted, i think Jameson is one of the best.

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 01:59:42 PM »
The worst thing about JW is the after taste that lingers in the mouth. I would liken it to a sub that continues humming and thundering long after the explosion is gone

LOL!

Call me unrefined, but I could never figure out what people like about whiskey/y/ie.

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline oNyX

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 02:57:42 PM »
LOL!

Call me unrefined, but I could never figure out what people like about whiskey/y/ie.

Me neither, when I tell people I only drink ciders, vodka and rum, they wanna know why I drink such weak alcohol.

Captain Morgan Spiced Gold, weak? Pffft.
"Excellent leaders of people lower themselves." - Lao Tzu, Daodejing - Chapter 68.

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 03:48:35 PM »
LOL!

I dont blame u. Its an acquired taste. Once u get the hang of it some whiskeys will even taste sweet.

The one thing I'll never subject myself and the people I kiss is beer.
Marantz AV8801|Rotel RC1570, RMB1585 and RMB1565| B&W 804 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond, DB1 and 685|Harman Kardon BDT30|Optoma HD25E projector| Audioquest CV4 speaker cables and Mogami XLR| HP Microserver

Offline Stefan

« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
I used to fall for this BS, buying expensive wines looking for the flavours!!! I'll tell you what, after a few sips of any wine, I couldn't careless about subtle flavours and I couldn't detect any, once in a while I came across a wine that smelt of bananas or oranges or apples...but subtle flavours, my foot!!

Sorry to hear, but it's not BS! You just haven't developed your tastebuds or sense of smell.
It takes some exercise though to recognise all the flavours etc.
As for the difference between whiskey ages, well when it says 12 or 18 yo, it only means that the majority of the blend(unless it's a single malt) contains a whiskey or said age.
Same goes for brandy/cognac. But then the spirits also contain other flavourants and colourants that makes the difference between most blended whiskeys and brandies.
Also, wine doesn't need to be expensive to be any good. Only average wines will taste the same, but any decent one with enough complexity and depth will develope and 'open up' releasing different aromas. The flavour compounds are actually quantitive, unlike the audiophile jargon regarding cables etc.

I drank it 2 weeks ago after It was offered to me. Of allthe JW Kool aids I think its the best

Careful with those statements, JW is a blended whiskey from different distilleries so if you say you dont dig it make sure you don't like other whiskeys which could be be almost the same stuff.
Me neither, when I tell people I only drink ciders, vodka and rum, they wanna know why I drink such weak alcohol.

Captain Morgan Spiced Gold, weak? Pffft.

Pfffft, Spiced Gold is like 30-something %alc v/v. That's what my blood alc % reads normally! :ROFLMAO:

A glass of wine(12-14%) is still stronger than a double brandy `n coke(~8%).
(Insert inspirational quote)

Offline Gerhard

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 07:08:38 PM »
Of all the whikey i've ever tasted, i think Jameson is one of the best.

+1   :thumbs:

Offline Mistro

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 09:03:49 PM »
Bushmills is a tough act to try follow  O0
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline zakes

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 08:59:47 AM »
I agree with you Stefan, it really takes training to make your brain believe what you want to believe. the question is why would I want to train myself to smell bananas in wine?! I think the point of good drink is to enjoy it, and not analyse it. If I taste wine and I like it, fine with me, i'm not going to measure the flavonoids or whatever makes the wine smell. same with audio, If I like a system, I'll enjoy it, I'm not going to spend hours mentally calculating how precise  the system is to the nanomillimeter.
Friend of BKGENGWE

Offline TimbaLand

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 09:01:47 AM »
I agree with you Stefan, it really takes training to make your brain believe what you want to believe. the question is why would I want to train myself to smell bananas in wine?! I think the point of good drink is to enjoy it, and not analyse it. If I taste wine and I like it, fine with me, i'm not going to measure the flavonoids or whatever makes the wine smell. same with audio, If I like a system, I'll enjoy it, I'm not going to spend hours mentally calculating how precise  the system is to the nanomillimeter.
+1

Offline vdL

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 09:25:37 AM »

:teach:

Unlike cables which is a hotly debated topic, in wine an experienced wine taster can from taste pick out all the flavours, determine the vintage, persentage alcohol, which type of cask it was in, how long it was on wood, if it is a blend approximately the ratio of blends, the region from where it originated and sometimes even the specific farm. This is not some make believe bs. Your true wine experts are amazing.

Analysing a wine is part of the enjoyment. You try to find and taste all the flavours the winemaker implemented in the wine.  There is so much more to wine than just drinking it because it is alcohol. A fine wine is an experience.

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 09:32:33 AM »
A fine wine is an experience.

:clap:

As is Whisk(e)y   :thumbs:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Mistro

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »
At the end of the it's alcohol, you drink too much of it you'll be sweeping the floor.
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline Stefan

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 09:38:27 AM »

True, but it's conditioning. Not tricking your mind! Stimulating your senses and the pleasure derived from it is what it's all about. Probably the same reason why we like listening tovery good hifi setups compared to the game/makro specials.

:teach:

Unlike cables which is a hotly debated topic, in wine an experienced wine taster can from taste pick out all the flavours, determine the vintage, persentage alcohol, which type of cask it was in, how long it was on wood, if it is a blend approximately the ratio of blends, the region from where it originated and sometimes even the specific farm. This is not some make believe bs. Your true wine experts are amazing.

Analysing a wine is part of the enjoyment. You try to find and taste all the flavours the winemaker implemented in the wine.  There is so much more to wine than just drinking it because it is alcohol. A fine wine is an experience.

+1,

when I drink a good bottle of wine I actually wish to be able to drink more without getting drunk or have any of the effects of alcohol.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:19 AM »
:clap:

As is Whisk(e)y   :thumbs:

yes, but usually just 3 whiskeys for me. the heartburn usually from drinking it neat kills me after that.