Author Topic: The Whisky thread  (Read 169743 times)

Offline Stefan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
Re: Glenfiddich - 50 Year Old
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2012, 10:09:25 AM »
That bottle is not made to be drunk..

Its a collectors item, an investment so to speak..

+1 same as with classic cars reaching R90mil or old vintages of Chateau Lafite Rothschild/Petrus etc.
Some buy it to sell it later on again, but some also drink it.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 10:22:15 AM by Stefan »
(Insert inspirational quote)

Offline BWS

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Keep calm and play Fortnite
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2012, 10:14:29 AM »
+1 same as with classic cars reaching R90mil or old vintages of Chateau Lafite Rothchild/Petrus etc.
Some buy it to sell it later on again, but some also drink it.

So what would a spilt drop next to the glass cost ?
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Stefan

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2012, 10:21:30 AM »
^^^R16k a shot at the Cape Grace Hotel.
(Insert inspirational quote)

Offline Mistro

• AVForums Super Veteran
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2012, 10:25:24 AM »

:o A decent pair of speakers!
"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." - Plato
"Music is love, love is music, music is life, and I love my life. Thank you and good night." A.J McLean

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2012, 10:42:29 AM »

Fisty cuffs if anyone bumps you and you spill :boxing:

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Don't PM me.
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2012, 02:45:01 PM »
Just give me a Savanna or a Redd's. I don't care how many awards that whisky won.

:EGrin:
I have lost my interest in this hobby.

Offline Nick2

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Junior Member
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2012, 09:06:02 PM »
Well heres, $2 Million Henri IV, Cognac Grande Champagne......... 

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Don't PM me.
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2012, 10:03:40 PM »
Well heres, $2 Million Henri IV, Cognac Grande Champagne.........

:sulky:

JC Le Roux is good enough for me.

Offline santoshlv426

• AVForums Super Veteran
    • MODERN BUSINESS
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2012, 08:44:07 PM »
If a guy can buy a R150K bottle of whiskey for investment, I'd like to see his house & car.
You guys would have read about "Enigma" in Business Day - the R300M house for sale in the Cape.
The servants quarters is bigger than my house !!!

Offline oNyX

• AVForums Grandmaster
  • Don't PM me.
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2012, 12:55:57 AM »
That happened to me before. It was Glenfiddich but not 50yr. Took a bottle with to a friend's place. He lived on the 1st floor and I was holding the container upside down unaware. At the top of the stairs the bottle slid out and it started rolling down and I chased after it. It broke before I could reach it. The rest of the day was miserable  :cr@p:

:Ooooooh:

Offline zakes

• Banned
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2012, 12:20:56 PM »
 :sh1tstirrer: ...the whiskey experts will tell you that there's a huge difference between a 1 year old whiskey and 5 year old, and then there's a big diffeence between 5 year old and 12 year old, and then there's a not so big difference between a 12 year old and a an 18 year old, stialmost no difference between a 21 year old and an 18 year old. and the difference between a 30 year old and a 21 year old is indistinguishable, even less diference between 50 year old and 30 year old, but the price difference between these ages increases exponentially whilst the difference in quality dimnishes to almost none. having said that, I would like to posit that the same trend is equally applicable in audio, there's very little that a R1m system can do that for instance a R100k system wouldn't do!!! but hang on a minute, the best part is that there are some people who claim they can tell a difference between a 50 year old whiskey and a 30 year old whiskey, and not only that, they have dedicated their lives earnings to collecting 50 year old whiskeys!!!! I venture to think the same thing happens in audio! there are some people who claim to hear a difference between cables and have dedicated their lives earnings on collecting cables!!! even in whiskey there are self proclaimed gurus whose tastes are the benchmark for the industry, they analysie the whiskey to bits...after the first sip, the whiskey opens up and there are subtles flavors of apples and cinnamon, later the whiskey settles into banana and coffee and wild grass flavors rounding of to orange peel,tobacco, wood and earthy flavours....I used to fall for this BS, buying expensive wines looking for the flavours!!! I'll tell you what, after a few sips of any wine, I couldn't careless about subtle flavours and I couldn't detect any, once in a while I came across a wine that smelt of bananas or oranges or apples...but subtle flavours, my foot!!
Friend of BKGENGWE

Offline BWS

• AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 12:25:03 PM »
:sh1tstirrer: ...the whiskey experts will tell you that there's a huge difference between a 1 year old whiskey and 5 year old, and then there's a big diffeence between 5 year old and 12 year old, and then there's a not so big difference between a 12 year old and a an 18 year old, stialmost no difference between a 21 year old and an 18 year old. and the difference between a 30 year old and a 21 year old is indistinguishable, even less diference between 50 year old and 30 year old

Agreed, try a 10 year old Bushmills single malt and try JW Blue, IMO the Bushmills klaps the JW and its only around R450 a bottle

Difference between a 12 and 18 year old ?  :thinking: Prison ?

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2012, 12:29:50 PM »
:sh1tstirrer: ...the whiskey experts will tell you that there's a huge difference between a 1 year old whiskey and 5 year old,

no such thing as a 1 year old whisky. or a five year old for that matter. then they are classified as old beer.

Offline TimbaLand

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2012, 12:53:17 PM »
Agreed, try a 10 year old Bushmills single malt and try JW Blue, IMO the Bushmills klaps the JW and its only around R450 a bottle

Difference between a 12 and 18 year old ?  :thinking: Prison ?
Its personal taste but according to me Johny Walker is bad whiskey that has very goodmarketing behind it. Offer me JW and I will drink but I will never buy JW with money that I worked for irregardles of whether is Balck, Yellow, Blue< Green, etc
HT: Marantz AV7705|RMB1585|RMB156|RB956 Optoma UHD40| Nvidia Shield
Stereo: Mark Levinson No 380s, 335| Cary Audio 200 TS| Bluesound Node
Speakers: B&W 802 Diamond, HTM2 Diamond|  B&W ASW850 and Velodyne DD15 Subwoofers | 685 and DS3 surround |4x CCM

Offline GECO

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+9)
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »
not so sure. the JW double black is pretty awesome.