Soundproofing a listening room

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob77

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was referred to this forum by Croak who suggested some members might be able to help me out with idea around soundproofing a listening room.

I recently moved into my new house (long overdue) and am happy to say that I've got a fairly large space - a double garage - to use as my main listening room. The room is about 5x6m.

Things are progressing well. I've got some shelving up, have packed out all my gear, records and CDs - in other words I'm almost ready to go. In fact, I had a trial run this past weekend and am quite happy with the results.

I have one MAJOR problem, however. 

The room's back wall is an electrically operated wooden garage door and offers almost no soundproofing. This will obviously create serious problems later on as my house is in a complex with neighbours relatively close by.

I'm considering building a foldable frame (almost like a Chinese screen) - filled with an as-yet-undecided-upon substance and covered with heavy material like unbleached linen - that can be slotted in against the door, thereby creating a second layer that will hopefully provide some sound insulation.

I'm figuring that using the thickly padded frame - 10cm or more - slotted right up against the door will do a good job of providing sound insulation. Am I barking up the right tree here? Should I perhaps look at filling the frame with polystyrene or something similar? Perhaps a wall of cinderblocks against the door...  ;D

Or perhaps I should just buy a heavy room/office divider or two?

Forum member Norval has, according to Croak, undertaken a similar project, so will perhaps be able to assist. If you're out there Norval, please give some hints - I'd be enormously happy.

Of course, advice from any other member would also be super-helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts