Audio Opinions, how you get them and why you keep them.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croak

R.I.P. 28 June 2021
Reaction score
Audio opinions, what I mean is the opinion we often have of products, even products of a certain type or brand.

The WWW is a wonderful thing, full of opinions, anyone with a website can preach the audio gospel according to xxx. Anyone with 50 bucks a month can have a website.

What is the value of opinions out there on gear?

I have found on more then one occasion that some fella who is going crazy about some product had a poor reference to start from for example and when I tried the same product I found it dreadful. Opinions on earbuds for mobile music players are a good example. Have a look on the conflicting reports on something like the koss plugs.

Often people generalise, tubes are smooth and full of even harmonic richness, vinyl warm and crackly, mosfets sound dry, digital is accurate, digital has no emotion. Small speakers always immage better then big ones, silver cable is bright, Krell sounds hard, Conrad Johnson lush, Quad even more so etc etc.

When you express an opinion about equipment, have you heard it? In a perhaps familliar environment? Compared to something else of similar value? Were you familliar enough with the systems sound that you could isolate the signature/impact of one component in it?

Latest posts