Author Topic: Goodmans Twinaxiom 10 full rangers, advice and info please...  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Sweetsound

Goodmans Twinaxiom 10 full rangers, advice and info please...
« on: November 08, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »

I've acquired a set of these today for a box of chocolates (heehaa Forest Gump!), and I've got some questions:

1. Are they any good as fullrangers? (had me some 8's a while ago which I wasn't impressed with...)
2. Can the "surrounds" be fixed ala Resonant Frequency? (Would it change the response/sound at all assuming that stock "surrounds" will be unobtainable?)
3. Would they sound different seeing that the cones are of different material, and that they are clearly of different circa (Weirdly these came out of the same set of cabs...)
4. If i get them resurrected to working state, would the fact that they're 15ohm babies be a hindrance? Does it mean my EL821 low-power power amp won't be able to partner with them?

More pics:

Thanks in advance. Mods, if this is stuck in the wrong section, please feel frn,
God invented stereo, then the 2 ears...

Offline Kent Kassler

Re: Goodmans Twinaxiom 10 full rangers, advice and info please...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2012, 06:45:28 AM »
ohms wont be a problem,those are a very nice find Stef.....now the bad news,they are not a pair sadly(although similar)...patch that surround though and give 'em a try anyway before going any further.
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Sweetsound

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2012, 07:46:27 AM »
Thanks bud.

Weird that these came out of the same set of cabs, according previous owner...

Regards to Ursh.

Offline frikkie

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2012, 08:06:58 AM »
Thanks bud.

Weird that these came out of the same set of cabs, according previous owner...

Regards to Ursh.

Looks like the same model from different years. My guess is one was replaced at some point.
My dad had a set of those years ago - they weren't great. Dunno if I'd spend money on reconditioning them...
Sometimes I drink a glass of water... Just to surprise my liver.

Offline alternativeroute

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 08:07:45 AM »
Sweetsound, did you try those HD1 cabs at all?

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

Offline Sweetsound

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:38:38 AM »
Not yet, Alty.
Started sanding them though and ordered the baffles and tops (mdf) at least. I doubt if I'll butcher them just to try these Goodmans...

These babies (Isophon) are earmarked for that honour:
http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,16927.msg232528.html#msg232528

Any tips on colouring/staining the cones for aesthetics?

You and Andre are welcome to have these Goodmans to fool around with, with frikkie next in line...

Cherio