Author Topic: My budget vintage setup  (Read 3436 times)

Offline THE_STIG

My budget vintage setup
« on: November 02, 2012, 07:22:35 PM »
Recently i got myself some old kenwood bits, an amp, tuner and cassette deck. Have been doing some light restoration work, replacing dodgy components, cleaning.....

Amp: Kenwood ka-70 from 1980

Tuner: kenwood kt 413 from 1979

Cassette deck: kenwood kx-400 also from 1979

Offline Heinrich

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • AVForums Super Veteran
  • silence is golden, but ductape is silver
Re: My budget vintage setup
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 07:28:53 PM »
I have exactly the same amp, they are bullet proof!
I used to do some dj work in/just after school and used that to drive 2 15" base bins.never even sighed.
What speakers are you running?
someone told me that i can make ice cubes with left over wine.
i am confused, what is left over wine?

Offline THE_STIG

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 07:41:14 PM »
I have exactly the same amp, they are bullet proof!
I used to do some dj work in/just after school and used that to drive 2 15" base bins.never even sighed.
What speakers are you running?

Currently it is just driving my headphones. Am still looking for some speakers for it 

But yea, it does appear to be a pretty tough old thing. There were two blown diodes but one of them was right next to another diode that looks to have been replaced at some point in its life. So I assume the technician was a bit careless(judging buy is awful soldering) and broke the glass casing whilst removing the component next to it. It was working just fine even with the complete split diode

The only issues that remains is that only two of the 8 source indicators lamps are working. Have not got around to getting replacements yet

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 07:07:03 AM »
Nice! I used to have a KA-70. It was on permanent loan from a friend. Dig the effect of the source indicator lamps!  :thumbs:

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Online AlleyCat

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 09:47:08 AM »
Wow, Stig. Never new that still existed. Was my very first amp I owned. You have just brought back many, many fond memories of DIYing, building your own speakers, listening to vinyl, tapes and sharing girlfriends with my brother. :EGrin:
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline mahleu

• Modem Forumator
  • Forum Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Call a spade a spade, not a banana.
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »
Very nice. Lighter fluid will take the remains of the sticker off the amp.
Commercial Property Broker- Upper Highway KZN

Online AlleyCat

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
Very nice. Lighter fluid will take the remains of the sticker off the amp.

Or even Mr Min (the spray). Spray a little on the area, leave it for a couple of seconds, then use a soft tissue and remove the sticker remains. Use this on all my purchased cds when I want to remove the labels on the cd covers.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline THE_STIG

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »
Thanks. Got most off but that residue remains, will give the mr min trick a try.

I also replaced all the belts in the cassette deck. The drive belt had reduced itself into a sticky mess and the rest were in pretty poor shape too. The tuner was mostly ok except for a blown bulb on the dial pointer and two leaky capacitors, have repaired all that now so it works great.

Offline GECO

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 05:42:11 PM »
Q20. Best cleaner and removes anything sticky

Offline THE_STIG

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 06:19:30 PM »
Just tried the mr min and worked a treat, no evidence left at all. Pitty I cant do much about the small scratches

I would just like to ask if this was a decent amp at the time or not. Sounds pretty good and appears well made

Offline THE_STIG

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 07:09:49 PM »
Another pic of the amp and tuner in action, just two of the source bulbs are working at the moment. I have ordered replacements so they should be here soon :)