Author Topic: Philips 9710m full range drivers  (Read 4553 times)

Offline darrylo

Philips 9710m full range drivers
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:51:40 PM »
Hi Guys

anyone familiar with these or using a pair ?

I managed to get my hands on a mint pair so Im keen to hear any impressions before I decide what to do with them.
Always Looking for Heathkit, AVO and Leak
"I refuse to prove that my cables will make your system sound better", says the snake oil vendor, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, you will hear nothing."

Offline J.S.

Re: Philips 9710m full range drivers
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:54:13 PM »
Ask Steerpike. He will definitely know.

I do not know why though, but I thought that these were to be used only with Phillip's property transformers. I think they had a very high impedance. (Like 24 ohms)
Parva leves capiunt animas

Offline Steve Strange

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 12:58:20 PM »
Port Elizabeth

Offline darrylo

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »
Ask Steerpike. He will definitely know.

I do not know why though, but I thought that these were to be used only with Phillip's property transformers. I think they had a very high impedance. (Like 24 ohms)

There was a 800 Ohm version of the same speaker for output transformerless amps. Mine are the standard 8 Ohm
"I refuse to prove that my cables will make your system sound better", says the snake oil vendor, "for proof denies faith, and without faith, you will hear nothing."

Offline J.S.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »
There was a 800 Ohm version of the same speaker for output transformerless amps. Mine are the standard 8 Ohm
That is right. Thanks for reminding me.  :)
Parva leves capiunt animas

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 04:56:38 PM »
They are very nice sounding! The frequency response is extremely wide for single driver.
Quite low power by todays standards (15W or so), and they WILL die if overloaded even for short periods.
The low impedance version is more robust than the 800 ohm version though.
With a small valve amp, they can produce some very pleasant, natural vocals. Even good bass at low levels.

Offline darrylo

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 07:18:50 PM »
They are very nice sounding! The frequency response is extremely wide for single driver.
Quite low power by todays standards (15W or so), and they WILL die if overloaded even for short periods.
The low impedance version is more robust than the 800 ohm version though.
With a small valve amp, they can produce some very pleasant, natural vocals. Even good bass at low levels.

That sound perfect for my needs

Any specific cabinet design you could recommend? I've seen dozens  from open baffle to bass reflex and horns !

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
That sound perfect for my needs

Any specific cabinet design you could recommend? I've seen dozens  from open baffle to bass reflex and horns !

From what I have read, they work well in all kinds of configurations. It depends on your tastes.
If you have access to an additional woofer, I think open baffle would be nice. But they get very good bass from bass-reflex cabinets too. I have a pair of the 800-ohm ones in BR cabinets, two of the nicest speakers i've heard (nice, not accurate) and no additional tweeter required. These only work with the Philips OTL amplifier, so that may have something to do with the sound - I can't use either without the other to test.

Offline darrylo

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
So... finaly decided to fire these up in there original SABC cabinets....

WOW

my wife walked in to ask what I had done and asked me to turn the music louder  :faint:

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 07:23:47 PM »
So... finaly decided to fire these up in there original SABC cabinets....

Now THAT is something I'd like to get hold of! So when you are bored with them and want something made by LG or apple...... :winkwink: