An appointment with the devil

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
So gentlemen, that which was supposed to be playing at DIY Audio Fest was called into life yesterday (and given a rough coat of primer the day before). Unfortunately I don't have picures to display just yet (they will no doubt surface sometime soon) One thing is sure: the system is showing a lot of promise.

The system details:

Subs + W-BM-MT-BM-W configuration per side

Sub: 2x 18" Bass reflex, tuned 38Hz and amped with Behringer EP2500 (1.2kW per 18) 98dB sensitivity each

Bass: 2 x 18" cardioid (Effective d ~750mm), system efficiency 104.5dB falling 6dB/oct below ~100 something Hz, specially damped cab with 2.5:1 compression ratio amped 1 bridged EP2500 per 2 modules (2 per side)

Lower Mid: 2x 15" Midrange (76gm mms), open baffle (for now), system efficiency >103dB falling 6dB/oct below ~200Hz amped by one channel of Behringer EP2500.

Mid-Tweeter: 19" diameter 80 degree horn loaded with a 1.5" large format compression driver

Last night the system was given a baptism of fire in an open air-concert with the additional help of another pair of subwoofers. The sound was quite exceptional for the 20 minutes time I had to do a controller setup and the added bonus is that the system is so directional above 70Hz that the PA was virtually not very audable on stage (there was still something between 70-230Hz but highly attenuated due to the cardioid character)

Crossover config (from memory):

Subs:
Butterworth 4th order HP on subs 35Hz
Bessel 4th order LP 70Hz

Bass:
Butterworth 4th order HP 73Hz
LR-4 LP238Hz

Mid:
LR-4 HP 238Hz
LR-4 LP 1 kHz (also works well at 738Hz)

Mid-Tweeter:
LR-4 HP 1 kHz

There was some EQ needed for the cardioid and the tweeter, but otherwise the system is fairly flat (iirc there was a slight correction for the open baffles somewhere).

Unfortunately the system was run very loud, even though it doesn't particularily sound it, even with peaks @ 20m likely exceeding 115dB. The wine at the soundie didn't particularily help either ;-)

There were lots of compliments about the sound, but nobody took my utterings that this was my hi-fi very seriously.

Latest posts