Author Topic: Which plywood to use  (Read 10645 times)

Offline Kemosabe

Re: Which plywood to use
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:32 PM »
No man dont accept that! The wood itself is close to what I paid (think the size is std) but my price may have been R50 to R100 less.
Then the cutting is a joke! They are telling you in a polite sort of way that this is not their business.
I have used lumber city behind woodmead value mart several times. Their cutting is accurate to 1mm and I have had them cut 12 sides for 2 speakers and sometimes 24 sides and they charged a nominal fee of R65 or so both times. I think in building 4 sets of speakers i.e. 48 sides they made a mistake in 1 dimension of 1 side so pretty reliable. They dont sell Marine Ply or they would have been my choice.
I since got a decent circular saw and guide rail and prefer to do my own cutting now as I can be accurate to <1mm which is a nice to have. But r65 for the cutting is way cheaper than R6500 for the saw.
DIY hi-fi: the journey is the destination.

Offline wade99

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 09:50:20 PM »
I went to Chamberlains Silver Lakes and I was very impressed with their cutting.  They only had 16mm MDF in stock, but they had three mountains of MDF in their store.  They have a CNC cutter and it is very repeatable.  If memory serves, they charged me about R90 each to cut up a MDF board and the same for a 21mm plywood board. 

They do not have 22mm, so if you can redesign it for 16mm, I can advise them.  It will be worth the trip. Otherwise you need to find another CNC setup.

I would say that the R814 that they are charging is about right.

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
I went to Chamberlains Silver Lakes and I was very impressed with their cutting.  They only had 16mm MDF in stock, but they had three mountains of MDF in their store.  They have a CNC cutter and it is very repeatable.  If memory serves, they charged me about R90 each to cut up a MDF board and the same for a 21mm plywood board. 

They do not have 22mm, so if you can redesign it for 16mm, I can advise them.  It will be worth the trip. Otherwise you need to find another CNC setup.

I would say that the R814 that they are charging is about right.
I would say R90 to cut a board is fair. It does take time and care.

Offline cybasoul

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 09:44:06 AM »
I actually bought a decent circular saw for this job, and made an accurate saw guide but this build has a lot of cutting and weird angles so I would rather outsource the job.
Here are the cutting plans, do they look like they are worth R600?

Angles, colour match the dimension....

« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:56:12 AM by cybasoul »

Offline cybasoul

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
No man dont accept that! The wood itself is close to what I paid (think the size is std) but my price may have been R50 to R100 less.
Then the cutting is a joke! They are telling you in a polite sort of way that this is not their business.
I have used lumber city behind woodmead value mart several times. Their cutting is accurate to 1mm and I have had them cut 12 sides for 2 speakers and sometimes 24 sides and they charged a nominal fee of R65 or so both times. I think in building 4 sets of speakers i.e. 48 sides they made a mistake in 1 dimension of 1 side so pretty reliable. They dont sell Marine Ply or they would have been my choice.
I since got a decent circular saw and guide rail and prefer to do my own cutting now as I can be accurate to <1mm which is a nice to have. But r65 for the cutting is way cheaper than R6500 for the saw.
Is Lumber City still around woodmead? I dont see their woodmead branch on their website.

Edit: never mind, found it
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 03:21:12 PM by cybasoul »

Offline JimGore

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 03:36:26 PM »
It's probably all those angles pushing up the price.

Just have them cut the boards to the required size, then you cut the angles onto the edges yourself.

I have no problems paying up to R 900 per sheet of 22mm MDF if its the full size (2.7 x 1.8).

Ian.

Offline cybasoul

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
Sweet! Lumber City(Woodmead) offers the boards at the same price(R815) as the first quote and the cutting is much cheaper at R35 per board for dimensions and R70 for all angles combined. Now thats a good deal! The bonus is that the place is less than 5minutes from my place plus I will be present when the cutting is done to make sure its done correctly  :wallbreak:

Offline Kemosabe

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 04:00:26 PM »
Sweet! Lumber City(Woodmead) offers the boards at the same price(R815) as the first quote and the cutting is much cheaper at R35 per board for dimensions and R70 for all angles combined. Now thats a good deal! The bonus is that the place is less than 5minutes from my place plus I will be present when the cutting is done to make sure its done correctly  :wallbreak:
Glad to hear it! Been very satisfied with their products and service. GLWS (good luck with speakers)  ;)

Offline Atjan

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2012, 12:18:01 AM »
Timber City in Roodepoort has 16 mm MDF for R367 for a full sheet - 2.7 x 1.8.
They cut for a nominal fee - <R50. If you get them to cut in the week its better than on Saturday morning when everyone is pushing them. Accuracy is good in my experience.
It's only hifi people....