Author Topic: Kent Kassler's fondest memories,the components that counted....  (Read 8600 times)

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+58)
Kent Kassler's fondest memories,the components that counted....
« on: September 22, 2012, 10:40:24 AM »
Having had a fair few units over the years I thought I would give bargain hunters a list of treasures to look out for that were truly worthy....here goes
Cambridge Audio cd1,removed from a loft in the ceiling of a German kitchen builder in Gardens Cape Town,world's first two boxer that ran three tda1541's per channel in some weird Stan Curtis design that was absolutely magical,real bass,different filter settings and top notch musicality....i wish I could fix her.
Sony TAN es series power and preamps,bought a combo close to home in Plumstead some years back(i forget the model sadly but any in the range will be superb)these mid to late 80's units are just incredible,the build quality made other offerings including some not too cheap Brit and Yank stuff look truly lame by comparison.Looks aside,I remember running the combo on a friend's Canton's(the one's that Rodney now owns) and it put a virtually brand new Musical Fidelity power amp with more output and fancy choke regulated power supplies to shame in every department.Friends sat in amazement at this universally agreed upon result.Not easy to find but so worth the search.(The integrateds are also excellent units.)
Marantz cd52mk2,cheap units are still around and if you want to enjoy a machine that is utterly musical for peanuts,look no further,gearloaded tray does give in but is cheap to fix,lovely display,wonderful disc tracking and reading just a joy to be honest.
Nad 3020,not much to say,it is not accurate or linear,it looks cheap(because it is),bass is warm and fuzzy,mids are lovely and treble is hardly audiophile in detail terms,appearing rolled off in the very far reaches.....these appear to be the makings of a not very good amp when in fact they are the opposite.Extremely musical,wonderful phonostage(not perfect but wonderful),this amp does some things wrong that just sound right,an easy listen with wonderful load handling ability and they are for the most part extremely flexible and reliable.
Epos es11 standmounters,I lived with these for years,an expired buyback from Cash Crusaders Tokai that went home with me and stayed for the longest time,well built,simple cap and resistor as crossover and these babies sang with a rhythm and timing that made others trying to dethrone her sound rather slow.Wonderful,wonderful speaker!.
Marantz 1060 integrated amp,beautiful looks,wonderful build,glorious pre section and a solidstate sound through the Fostex drivers as close to valve as any have come....brilliant amp with such appeal. They can be found,but not as easily as in years gone by.
McIntosh 50watt solidstate monoblocs,some bias here,I never thought they were close to being as good in the sound department,nothing hideous but a touch lightweight to be honest,matters nothing though because they were two of the most beautiful(in an industrial way)looking units I have yet owned,just magnificent.The fact that they made music was just a bonus.

More to follow and please feel free to add your own....
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:43:56 AM by Kent Kassler. »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
Re: Kent Kassler's fondest memories,the components that counted....
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:57:50 AM »
Excel.es70 mm cartridge,cheap as chips and magic,magic,magic....just ask a few chaps here about this little secret.
AR18 standmounters,such an easy and enjoyable listen,i must admit that no other speaker brand has dished up as many winners for me in the affordable end of hi-fi,from m2's to 10pi's,you simply cannot go wrong,some re-foaming is usually par for the course but the rewards are well worth the effort.
Steinhart power/pre valve amps,these arrive here with many scratching their heads,not for the faint hearted and certainly not for those who are not dedicated but when working properly these are musicmakers who bow to no-one,my good friend Leonard owned the tvp 77's and matching valve pre,no upgrades brought that magic back for me,not Pathos,not Krell,not even Manley,that's right folks Gunther slammed and dunked 'em all(if anyone has some of Gunther's chunks that need care then please consider me as I have found someone who can fix them properly.)Just had a listen to a rejuvenated pair and what a revelation.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:17:57 AM by Kent Kassler. »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline AlleyCat

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 06:18:26 PM »
Ja BarbieKent, have to agree with you on the Gunter's at Leonards - they were special! Made nice music to on the end of those Jamo Concert 8"s or decent speaker attached to them. I arranged the servicing for Leonard with Gunter just before he left the country and very glad he did it, a great amp combination.
"Not everything meaningful is measurable, and not everything measurable is meaningful" - Floyd Toole

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 11:03:53 PM »
Your old Concert 8's were also going to join the list,what truly wonderful standmounters of the highest order,quite sad that nobody has added to the list,come name a few of your old gems from bygone years....i thought this post would be a hit but it must have failed because I did not list cables,forum is looking like a bloody morgue at the moment,no Asian pics and no BK.... ;D

Offline Rupert

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Durbanville, Cape Town

Offline ghostinthemachine

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+13)
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:56:18 AM »
NAD 3020 (The one I use is my third unit - when I dont blow 'em up by accident)

KEF 203 bookshelfs (with triangular shaped woofer framen - owned 3 pairs at one time!!!)

AR-6's (got the set for free)

My trusty Marantz CD-65DX (Swing arm laser mech - Free from Steve - to my ears a top performer and I feel no need to replace it)
Inactive

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
Thanks Ghosty,the chop was feeling very lonely without contribution,wow what a lovely gift that Marantz,I don't know the speakers but you gotta love the older gems...come move down to CT and let's do repairs,I have a flat for you.

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 11:29:38 AM »
Thanks Ghosty,the chop was feeling very lonely without contribution,wow what a lovely gift that Marantz,I don't know the speakers but you gotta love the older gems...come move down to CT and let's do repairs,I have a flat for you.

O0 - I want to open a recording studio down there in the fair Cape!
Inactive

Offline funcrusha76

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 12:23:42 PM »
Enjoyed reading this thread thus far. Not much to contribute other than to say that driving my MX2s with the NAD C720BEE and placing them on some proper stands has brought these monitors to life for me. I've had these for years - more than 10 - and this is the first time I've truly been able to appreciate them. I've often heard snide comments passed about these Tannoys, but they sound wonderful to my ears. Round and musical, with just enough detail for my tastes.

'crusha

Offline Atjan

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 01:36:46 PM »
I got a Sansui AU117 from Ghosty last year sometime. What a wonderful little amp. You'd never say it was only 15w/channel. The loudness switch I still miss. ::)
It's only hifi people....

Offline alternativeroute

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • :-)
    • Turntable sales Cape Town
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »
Still love my Arcam 5+ laserskyf

the Leak stereo 20 is definitly the fish that got away. what a lovely sounding 10wpc.

Also miss the Fostex blh for low level late night listening... (the missus misses the extended real-estate they offered for potplants)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:55:30 PM by alternativeroute »

The past, the present and the future walk into a bar. It was tense.  :nutter:

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 07:59:57 PM »
The loudness switch I still miss. ::)

Just whack this bass and treble knobs to 3 o'clock...  O0
Inactive

Offline dean

• Commercial Member
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • cables make a difference
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 09:52:26 PM »
Still miss my B&W 602s
Contact me for denon, monitor audio,klipsch, rotel,boston,velodyne,marantz,oppo,  B&W.any many more quality brands. We install home cinema , dstv and top line security systems.we now also do nad, mission and psb.yamaha,onkyo,integra,Cambridge audio.svs

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 06:35:15 AM »
Aaah the Leak,how could I forget such as worthy as her,vintage gold that one along with the st35 Dynaco,just wonderful.....and let us not forget the st70 either.

Offline funcrusha76

• AVForums Veteran
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 08:51:41 PM »
@Kent: I've got my eye on the Marantz CD52 MKII. How easy is it to find one locally? Any leads?

Also, finally listening to my first NAD 3020! And it's a lovely little amp. Only have my Grado SR80is plugged in, but such a beautiful tone. Usually I need to EQ the hell out of my Grados to get nice rounded bass; with the 3020, though, it's all there - no EQ required. Stunning!

'crusha
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:57:42 PM by funcrusha76 »