Author Topic: Kent Kassler's Korner....  (Read 18407 times)

Offline ziva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AVForums Member
Re: Kent Kassler's Korner....
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »
Dear Kent,

When all else fails....turn up the volume
1 mans kit is another mans poison!

Offline dogears

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • A Tad Addlepated
« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2012, 10:01:12 PM »
Dear Kent,

I am beginning to think that I am addicted.  This is not an easy admission but I need to face facts.  I am still dabbling with the softer stuff, but this morning I came within reach of some hardcore merchandise (if that is the correct word).  It was terrible, just hearing the siren call was awful enough, but there it was, the real thing, I could reach out and touch it!  I hope that I managed to hide the signs from the people I was with, but I fear it is only a matter of time...

I know that it starts with a needle and a valve and that it is a steep, slippery slope from there, but dammit, the thought of hurling myself headlong over the precipice for that exhilarating ride is overwhelming. 

Friends and family are already giving me funny looks when they glimpse my hidden stash and I can swear that I have heard some remarks about my compulsive behaviour and the strange glint in my eye when they thought I was out of earshot.  I need to take control before I face personal and financial ruin.  Is cold turkey the only solution, or is there a way for me to stay on the path of moderation? Do I keep taking my Quads or do I turn to stronger medicine like Thorens or Sugden, perhaps increase the dosage?

Please help!

Yours sincerely,
Anonymous.

Offline Doogle

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »
 :Whoohoo:
Statements Interiors, Cape Town

Offline skollie

• AVForums Veteran
  • Cableth make no differenth. Ith all in the plugth
    • Blue Angel
« Reply #48 on: December 14, 2012, 10:44:33 PM »
A belated welcome, dog ears.

You seem to be a man of lettters, judging by your previous posts. My compliments :clap:

Regarding the predicament you find yourself in. There is a panacea for it but it unfortunately doesn't come in pill, capsule or powder form. The cure is wallet and card-shaped.

The first step is to abandon all feelings of guilt and responsibility as one only lives once, when I last looked.

Certain times and events during calender years are particularly hazardous for this hobby - Christmas, Eid ul Fitr, Easter, Diwali etc - you know what I mean. Other times like when the wife or partner is away or at SARS refund time and so on.

If I may offer some bad advice (I'm known for that), my evil influence (thanks Peter C.) may guide you along the road to slow self destruction. Just like the little devil on the shoulder my dear, late mother always warned me against and ending up in the gutter like my late old man always predicted.

So if I may then offer a first tip - read up extensively on audio gear and its history. Where you can find them, buy up old audio mags (subscription to current mags are expensive and not as interesting as the older magazines).

Indepth  knowledge of this hobby will empower you and to an extent - prevent wastage on so-so gears.

That's all for now. The other members here will no doubt have much more to offer in useful advice, should you require any.

mafioso
If you don't like my principles, I have others - Groucho Marx

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+57)
« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2012, 11:20:33 PM »
Dogears my friend........the disease can become all consuming and I have found a few common denominators,here are a few:
"The void filler"-he who desires constant change as the hole in his soul increases in size the frequency of change increases and all rationale is abandoned...he travels mostly in familiar circles perhaps starting with flea powered valve amps with tone controls and 100db speakers,progressing to a more enlightened sense of purity with shorter signal paths,more power,bigger displacement and worst of all he then starts taking advice from others(the manically depressed,google,the showboater,the hoarder,the diy'er,those in marketing,Americans,Spellcheck Dean etc) all on an altogether different journey.....the confusion that follows will see him selling everything and trying the whole "I am going to change and love my family by doing the home theatre thing"....at this point he is in his saddest state and to push through he turns 17 again and starts buying all the stuff his father once owned or something his sickly young mind could not afford back in the days when pride of ownership and quality workmanship were the order of the day....the amps start fires in the lounge,the cones start coughing foam all over the floor and he probably gets divorced roundabout now because his wife can't stand his staring at a blank white wall between speakers instead of her voluptuous thighs......she finds someone younger and he finds Ramsay.....you are not this guy though,i will tell you which one you are later!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:39:15 PM by Kent Kassler »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2012, 12:01:50 AM »
"The Sado Masochist aka the vintage gear lover"....this truly deranged person believes that old brown and cream coloured kakkerlak kak coated in now extinct spider carcasses and resistors that are now best known as random value devices is the deliverer of musical messages that speak to the soul(more likely you'll become one if you operate it!)and possess a warmth so lacking in modern gear.("Call the police there's a madman around", I say)The warmth is simply a mains transformer running above its specified design criteria,the musical message is a coloration so far removed from the original that you wouldn't know Aretha from Barbara.....this looney tooney honestly thinks that his turntable offers timbre but refuses to burn it :nutter:,he enjoys the dynamic swings but has a chippolata that couldn't make her bell ring?Can you believe this guy Pieter?.......not you yet though!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 12:05:30 AM by Kent Kassler »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline dogears

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • A Tad Addlepated
« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
Dear Concerned Members (Rubberneckers please move along),

It is with a mixture of immense relief and abject misery that I read your responses, oh the shame.

First a confession, dear Mafioso, it was indeed I that crossed your threshold not one week ago to score (indeed Kent, the Kakkerlak covered Khaki Karkasse) and such was the state of my fevered mind on seeing your very own hoard that I dared not identify myself as a fellow sufferer, feigning only mild and polite interest, all the while burning up inside.  I do apologize, but the fear of getting sucked in, well, you can imagine!

Dear Kent, it is with some horror that I read your, as yet incomplete response to my plea.  It is as if someone has opened a door, allowing me to witness the full, awesome extent of the abyss into which I may so easily descend.  Not being by any stretch an expert on psychology, do I trust in your methods? Where is Harrington University, near the School of Hard Knocks?  I was hoping to be spared the rod, but no, no softly, softly from you.  Stare into the gates of Hell and repent, is that the gist of it?

Well, interventions are by their nature usually harsh, confrontational affairs, let me girdle my loins and prepare for battle.

Yours in desperation,
Anonymous Dogears.

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
...settle down,he with bent tip Techniques....the vacuum lifter with healthy dollop of oil is in the post and we(i mean you of course)will have her singing like the first time in no time. :BWAHAHAH:

Offline placebo

• AVForums Veteran
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2013, 08:12:14 PM »
Dear Mr.Kassler,
I realise that this topic has not been used for some time but do require your advice.Recently I acquired 14 meters  of Ellies flat  cable from a fellow forum member in Slaapstad at a cost of R140.00.This cable was piggybacked on another package to save me costs.The loudspeaker cable was terminated last Sunday(I fetched it last Saturday) at great petrol cost plus wear and tear to my very expensive motor vehicle.Terminating the cable on Sunday took me 4 Amstels plus 2 hours of my time.On connecting the cable and playing my music I realised the particular cable accentuated the highs,midrange but did not do anything to the bass of my speakers.In terms of the NCR act under  which( clause and subsection(s)how much can I request as a refund can be  claimed.Please note the costs involved in purchasing this cable and time spent terminating it.Plus my petrol  and wear and tear on my vehicle. :rubhands:

Yours faithfully
Klaus.
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2013, 06:14:56 AM »
 ;D.....you are imagining things sire(besides every person knows that a cable requires burn-in time to perform at it's very best).Give the molecules an opportunity to find direction and settle.That cable is a giant killer!(you're a tall man aren't you) :point:

Offline placebo

• AVForums Veteran
  • How can you have money for beer but not for Beenos
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2013, 09:51:42 AM »
;D.....you are imagining things sire(besides every person knows that a cable requires burn-in time to perform at it's very best).Give the molecules an opportunity to find direction and settle.That cable is a giant killer!(you're a tall man aren't you) :point:
Not very tall as I have become stooped in my old age.I was thinking of purchasing some "snake oil"to rub on the cable.Are you of the opinion that if I connect the cables to the 220v power supply and then to the loudspeakers the molecules will find direction faster? :angel:
For,when money or oiled hands determine the voting outcome,particularly in a matter of such monumental importance,then no conscience or oath finds expression.

Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng

Offline Rupert

• AVForums Veteran
  • Durbanville, Cape Town
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2015, 05:18:44 PM »
Dear Mr Kassler

What is the best way to tame electrons that convey audible information?  Is there an audiophile circus somewhere that you can send them to to learn how to create a holographic soundstage, for example?  And how do you make sure that only the trained electrons live in your cables, i.e. no outsiders allowed in to trigger xenophobic distortions?  So many problems. Do you have any solutions?