A Question on speaker power requirements.

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AudioJunkie

AVForums Veteran
Reaction score
Hey gents & ladies.....so i was browsing the PQ Sound site, looking at all the drivers etc

Suddenly a question dawned on me & i didnt know the answer so i thought i'd put it up here & have one of the Gurus enlighten me. How is a speaker's power rating calculated?? I mean lets say you have a 3 way loudspeaker
with a woofer, mid & tweeter. Now im just making up the following power ratings for each speaker just as an example. The woofer is rated @ 100 watts, mid @ 100 watts & tweeter @ 60 watts - so does that mean the overall power rating for this loudspeaker would be 260 watts??

The reason im asking this Q is well i've browsing through the DIY Audio section & i'm really inspired to try out my first speaker build. Now i would just like to know how the power rating is calculated in order to know what my final power rating would be for my completed loudspeaker in order to know which amplifier to use.