Author Topic: The Parow Valley Sessions....Golden Lion vs AlleyCat .(Who's urine is stronger)  (Read 22730 times)

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
  • Trade Count: (+58)
....so the Germany(Canton) vs Britain Chinese advised(B&W) match began,keep in mind that they were to be assessed in different homes,the Canton's at Rodney's palace and the B&W's a little further down the N1 in Alleycat's Asbestos roofed mudhut where roaming cattle are eaten and not left to graze and large wives still wear miniskirts and cuss loudly in sentences constructed from multiple languages.I took up position in the sweetspot about 3-4mtr's away in a rough triangle and Rodney handed me some large cellphone type of thing which i held to my ear assuming that Ursh had called much to the amusement of all the other audiophairies until i was informed that it was to choose songs from???I thought this was some kind of a practical joke and grabbed a pair of binoculars to try and find a source???....Oh well not a cd player in sight,not a turntable,nothing....but a squeezebox....i thought that was for rich peoples kids to play Justin Bieber on in their bedrooms but i must have been wrong.......anyway i thought i'd start off with some light Australian folk music sung by some guy who looks like he's going through chemo as well as being clearly Mongolian(the Aussies always pinch foreign talent as we all know)...So Midnight Oil was selected from the wirelessly controlled screen and beamed in all it's bits(and try telling the artist it's lossless when Rodney's actions have forced him to live in an arid desert because nobody buys his cd's anymore)....anyway it got zapped Star Trek style across the room and was re-assembled inside the box by cell-sized oompah loompah's who clearly had too much soda because what was released from the Canton's was a visual equivalent of Gene Wilder starring as Mr Schindler himself.....i mean the horror of Beds are Burning at the levels that Rodney listens at made me wish i could see my family just one last time before hopping on the train.....the screeching(not helped by a quite wonderful soundstage) made me wonder if he'd kept the tape from his last tweeterjob(hell i could place some over the supertweeter and charge him 7k for the upgrade)....my feet were tapping from the vibrations passing through the floor,Rodney saw this and smiled but i can assure you this was simply the nerves in my legs and not a voluntary action.....he cranked it up higher and Earbud ran for the kitchen hands flailing and voice soprano(just like earlier) as he begged for mercy and a disprin......these speakers are a must own,must have masterpiece of forward thinking....these will clear late night unwanted drunk guests at a party faster than Tori Spelling doing a striptease........Stereophile Class A rating,What Hi-Fi 5 star,AVSA.."This one punches well above it's price class, a veil was lifted and a blanket placed on the tweeter instead" ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:33:18 PM by Kent Kassler. »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline Sweetsound

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • AVForums Veteran
 :BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: ...7k upgrade of shielding the "super"tweeters!  :point: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
God invented stereo, then the 2 ears...

Offline Rupert

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Durbanville, Cape Town
"audiophairies" ... "Tori Spelling doing a striptease" ... this was classic!

Offline Captain Ahab

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • AVForums Veteran
Kent "Gonzo" Kassler, you are Hunter S Thompson reincarnated!

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
.....something queer was about to happen....i gave up my prime spot and allowed fellow French /American AVSA(African Violet Society of America) writer Jacques Passeur to sit cross-legged,folded wrist,Gauloises in between the 4th and 5th to get a second opinion on the setup.Jacques has some of the finest ears and is widely acknowledged for his contributions in the voicing of some well regarded designs but more importantly a fair few of us have nibbled on them and found them to be unusually sweet tasting and always free of debris.......anyway he jumped straight into some Pink Floyd(a band that reached stardom by banging on bells and stepping on wah-wah pedals at unexpected moments)....well....forget about the delicate sound of thunder folks....this was Nagasaki.....this one even had Earbud switching to cotton swabs jammed down the canal and palm fulls of aspirin being washed down by a Pink Martini(pinkie sticking out of course).....i mean the bell was lifesized,it clanged and clattered,the steel re-inforced ceiling adding to the size and impact of the bell,eyes bulged,the girly men fainted to the floor and curled up into little balls(other parts of them into tiny marbles),boyfriends running to take advantage.....and Rodney just sat there with a perplexed look on his face and asked why we were listening at half his usual volume?....
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 08:27:49 AM by Kent Kassler. »
Audiophile Sound Sommelier Extraordinaire....aka Manic Depressive Temporary Void Filler Deluxe.

Offline BWS

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
.....and Rodney just sat there with a perplexed look on his face and asked why we were listening at half his usual volume?....

:BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH:
In the word : Scent, is it the S or the C that is silent?

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
Dammit guys...this househusband needs to get some dishes and packing for JHB done......will continue this afternoon ;)

Offline Rodney_gold

• R.I.P. 5 June 2018
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • AVForums Veteran
Im waiting with bated breath for the next episode ...
AVSA - you need to run something like this as a monthly column /article.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch> Trinnov St2 >2x Devialet D premiers>  Vivid audio Giya G1 spirits ..fully treated room

Offline GearSlave

• Peacekeeper Extraordinaire
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • AVForums Veteran
  • Ohm's Law has no business in Audio
    • Studio B
Im waiting with bated breath for the next episode ...
AVSA - you need to run something like this as a monthly column /article.

I have it on good authority that the pay at AVSA stinks. Whatever Kent wants for his work, it'll be too much :ROFLMAO:
Resistance is not futile; it is voltage divided by current (R=V/I)

Offline Atjan

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • AVForums Veteran
Kent K, are you leaving for Jhb? :nutter:
It's only hifi people....

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
.....so Jacques put his mind into neutral,closed his eyes and led us into something a little more  "Calma Sootha".......some Spanish poophol pirate named Julio Iglesias no less....well i tell you what, this action certainly brought about a calmness to proceedings that was most welcomed,folks grabbed some beanbags and hooka pipes,bags of chips and jugs of Nescafe and wine and suddenly the Canton's soared and it dawned on me just how important one's state of mind is when listening to gear and for a moment in time this system was the finest sounding i'd ever heard,(perhaps the fact that Alty was eating strawberries from my exposed chest with a cream dip in my bellybutton at this very moment helped me reach this conclusion?)...whatever it was it worked and i know that Jacques rates these as some of the best he's ever heard whilst consuming forbidden fruits.....big thumbs up from Jacques then and he liked the speakers as well.....Alleycat is coming up soon ;)

Offline BWS

• Administrator
.....so Jacques put his mind into neutral,closed his eyes and led us into something a little more  "Calma Sootha".......some Spanish poophol pirate named Julio Iglesias no less....well i tell you what, this action certainly brought about a calmness to proceedings that was most welcomed,folks grabbed some beanbags and hooka pipes,bags of chips and jugs of Nescafe and wine and suddenly the Canton's soared and it dawned on me just how important one's state of mind is when listening to gear and for a moment in time this system was the finest sounding i'd ever heard,(perhaps the fact that Alty was eating strawberries from my exposed chest with a cream dip in my bellybutton at this very moment helped me reach this conclusion?)...whatever it was it worked and i know that Jacques rates these as some of the best he's ever heard whilst consuming forbidden fruits.....big thumbs up from Jacques then and he liked the speakers as well.....Alleycat is coming up soon ;)

:BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: :BWAHAHAH: Better and better  :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
...i thought i'd put my feelings about the Canton's to song to end the Palace experience...
"Taxi cabs and traffic jams and subways underground
Dont you miss the days when all we'd hear
Were the Fostex fullrange sounds
I'm tired of just remembering when there are memories left to make
Just you and me and the Cantons
Let's drive and throw them in the greenery by the lake

Oh take me to that peaceful lounge i miss
Cause i cant spend another day with sounds like this

(Chorus) I want to wake up to the music of hummingbirds in harmony
I want to feel the morning sunlight filling up the room
I want to hear the silence that's singing through the scenery
I want to smell the voicecoils of the Canton's
The day they blew....

Let's go back and find
The crossoverless life we knew
I still want to hear again
The Fullrange sound with you.....
Dont let it be another thing we always meant to do
I still want to hear again
The Fostex sound with You..........."

Alty you knew i had romance in me didn't you? or is it Romeo?....i keep forgetting what you call it!

Offline Kent Kassler

• The Undertaker
  • Trader
Alleycat grew quietly nervous as the pungent scent of Rodney's potent unfiltered peepee filled the air and he knew he was in for one hell of a battle that would not involve any etiquette(no that's not cat food it's a standard of behaviour by which contestants are not judged).....we all said our goodbye's did some bum pinching and tongue freaking which was prolonged by Earbud who kept coming back for more,dancing around to the front of the queue continuously singing ring-a-rosy,bloody vinyl addict!....Dean and i hopped in the bakkie and followed Alleycat down the N1 to his affirmative housing build passing groups of men fleeing with corrugated sheets above their heads and powertools spilling from backpacks screaming "naai my bro,Crusaders is die kant toe"......5 minutes later we arrived outside this humble doorless shack with a lawn filled with clay pixies,fairies,butterflies and other "i'm so in touch with my feminine side" paraphernalia....we entered through the garage and there it was......

Offline BWS

• Administrator
and there it was......

Can't wait to hear this  :point: