Converting from WMA lossless to FLAC

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobson

AVForums Member
Reaction score
Hi

I just thought I would share in case someone ever has a need for this. I had a lot of my music ripped to WMA lossless, which worked just fine of course on WMC. moving to squeezebox is a bit different though, squeezebox doesn't handle WMA lossless. Searching on the internet brought some quick problem solving, convert to FLAC with foobar2000, unfortuantely foobar doesn't handle WMA lossless well either, neither does dbpoweramp, FRE:AC and audiocoder does but they cuts a bit off the start of all the songs.

Anyway the solution in the end was to adjust the audio delay under the "sound" tab on audiocoder, I just had it on 2ms and it worked even though it cut off as much as 2 or 3 seconds. Also found that when setting parallelize to 1 it's least likely to crash, moving it to 8(or how many cores you have) causes some stability issues. Ended up using the slow HTPC E350 to do the conversion and 10K songs took roughly 20 hours to complete, it still crashed a few times but it remembers the status of the files in the queue so you can just start it up again press start and off it goes where it left off when it crashed.

Last problem is that you need to then pump the FLAC files through musicbrainz to clean up the metadata.

I don't know if anyone else will have this problem, but I couldn't really find anywhere else with a decent writeup so thought I would post this and hopefully save someone else from spending hours finding the best way to do it.