Acoustic ceilings Y/N?

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Now Playing

AVForums Super Veteran
Reaction score
Context:
For a variety of reasons I'm planning to replace the ceiling board in my listening room.  Measurements  (L,W,H) are 7m x 5m x 2.8m.  Walls are brick & plaster, floor is concrete with carpeting overlayed and the present ceiling is gypsum board. Having a look in the roof I've got another 500-700mm to play with in terms of ceiling height so would like to use the opportunity to increase the volume of the listening space whilst I'm at it.  Once this is completed I'll also be replacing the existing carpet with a thicker pile carpet.

Acoustically the room has had some treatment done in the past (PET panels at first reflection points, 4 diffusion panels on the side walls) and is pretty reasonable at present albeit improvements can be made through the addition of proper bass traps (have 4 rolls of Isotherm stuffed into corners behind speakers (better than nothing) and nothing in rear corners at present -- following removal of the wall-to-wall shelving I had, the rear corners are now bare).

Two questions:
1) given the room dimensions are there any particular ceiling heights I should avoid in the range 2.8m - 3.5m
2) I'm considering using the opportunity to install acoustic ceilings - good idea y/n?

Latest posts