Author Topic: why do my speakers always look like this?  (Read 3774 times)

Offline MorneDJ

Re: why do my speakers always look like this?
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
Keep it like that .. imagine the discussions you can have with visitors. Never again you will hear an opening line like ... "Goodness, but it is hot/cold/windy,sunny/cloudy today"
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, as you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup ...

Offline Atjan

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 08:54:05 AM »
Keep it like that .. imagine the discussions you can have with visitors. Never again you will hear an opening line like ... "Goodness, but it is hot/cold/windy,sunny/cloudy today"

Instead, you'll get: "Wat de do-onner?!" :ROFLMAO:
It's only hifi people....

Offline Hennie

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »
I don't have a wife, but some things are not committee decisions/  O0

With speakers like that, you won't get one. Ask me. :stop:

Offline d0dja

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 10:18:49 PM »
 Better?

They actually look a little better in the flesh, phone cam flash is very unflattering.  Spent a lot of time getting box nicely sealed. Fixed one sounds better, more coherent, smoother. Will sort out the left hand unit this wekend.

Bloody mission with the few handtools I have with me to make a plug and face to mount the tweets. 6mm mdf layers anand plenty of epoxy.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:27:53 PM by d0dja »

Offline Shonver

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • AVForums Grandmaster
  • Criss-cross rhythms that explode with happiness
    • Elipse (under construction)
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 11:22:26 PM »
Amazing how some things just go on and on... http://www.avforums.co.za/index.php/topic,3238.0.html

DON'T PANIC
Capie

Offline d0dja

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:49 PM »
Heh. They are starting to look a bit dondered -- nicks and scratches all over your nice vinyl job :)

Was debating giving the woofers a discrete and very gentle waft with a can of black spraypaint to keep the all-black look. Prob not a great idea.

I am really rather pleased how they're sounding. The new drivers are great... those Macintosh drivers were ok, very sensitive, but compared to the Zaphaudio ones they're clearly getting a bit on. The Vifa tweeters are crisper than the (entry level) Visatons I bunged in when the Maelun's packed up.

The XO is designed on some educated guesses, but are basically cookbook. Included a Zobel that was based on more educated guesses from the experiments I did previously on impedance measurements (makes a very marginal difference - barely hearable). Now that I'll have some cash I can get a proper measurement mic - that home-built jol worked for a short while, then mysteriously packed up. I started rebuilding the amp circuit for it and then got gatvol.

So once the DIY 101 course is done, these little guys should be tweaked and really singing. Then I can restart on those 3-ways.  :winkwink:

Offline Ampdog

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 04:06:52 AM »
.......With open electronics like that they are always seeming to want to improve your paltry efforts. Tweek the XO Freq, change the padding etc.

Put it in a larger perspex box. For extra interest, mount a few unrelated things inside. A car oil filter - hang an air-cleaner element over the vent tube ..... nobody will dare ask, lest they sound stupid.
Audio must be the only branch of engineering where lack of basics' knowledge is considered a superior form of wisdom. (Anon)

Offline Hennie

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 09:40:24 AM »
Good idea. Now also add something gold or preferably rhodium plated, it will make it sound better. :clap:

Offline d0dja

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »
I was thinking of some crystals.

Amethyst to extend the black spaces, rose quartz for sharper transients, and agate to reduce sibilance in vocals. Was going to go for red amber for better control of pace, but screw that. Golden amber FTW!

(and if you thought audiophiles were mad, read this http://www.patinkas.co.uk/A_to_Z_Crystal_Directory/a_to_z_crystal_directory.html)

Offline Hennie

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 11:03:21 AM »
Swarovski crystals for tonal colours and Swarovski optical glass for clarity?