DIY Speakers 101

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber_MG

AVForums Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am getting a fair bit of interest, so I am planning a workshop (date and some more specifics to be announced).

I would prefer to not get too deep into the theory and rather demonstrate the application thereof so that one can do a speaker from start to listening in about 3 hours. To make things simple I'll ask Stef to do the catering and guests to bring drinks of their choice.

I think a programme could be something like the following for up to 6 people at a time.

Anything before 9 is a speed build for those who're interested. Coffee for the early birds with some formaldehyde dust thrown in for good measure courtesy of the automated dust maker. Perhaps a free baffle routing session. 9 o'clock so that people further afield can make their way to Pretoria.

9 - 10        : Acoustics of speakers and rooms, the idea is to share an intuitive understanding of what consideration one needs to be aware of.

10 - 10:30  : Measurement practical session: electrical impedance measurement and acoustical measurements 101

10:30 - 11  : Taking those measurements and designing a speaker. High-level trade-offs, design decisions and how they impact on the final sound

11 - 12      : Active crossover iterations and tweaking with some A/B listening. Basic voicing (flat frequency response on axis isn't always a good thing y'know)

12 - 12:30  : Passive filter basics

before lunch    : HE showdown at high noon: Take the freshly developed classical mid-woofer + 1" dome versus 12" 2-way HT system featuring some 280mm spherical maple wave guides.

Braai

More details to follow.

Latest posts